Edgar Meyer on tour?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Et Cetera, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Et Cetera

Et Cetera

Jan 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I read somewhere that Edgar Meyer is on tour with Bela Fleck right now, and I was wondering if anyone had any info about it...

Mostly, I just want to know if they're playing together, or if Meyer is going to be playing any solo stuff? From what I understand, the tickets are a little expensive (or maybe I'm just cheap?), and I'm not *that* into the stuff they do together that I'd want to see a whole concert of just that. (plus it's a pretty long drive for me)
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The tour's in support of Fleck's classical-repertoire "Perpetual Motion" album, so I don't think Meyer will be soloing (unless it's an encore).
  3. Meyer and Fleck will be doing a duo gig in Milwaukee February 9. Points beyond; no idea.

I'd love to see/hear Meyer play (Fleck less so), but I don't know if I would bail on my gig and swing the $30 ticket to do so.
  4. Sorry. Make that Meyer/Fleck will in Madison on Feb. 9. Barrymore Theatre.
  5. Et Cetera

Et Cetera

Jan 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Just out of curiousity, whereabouts in southeast wisconsin are you, Mike?
  6. robot

Feb 29, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL

You can find tour dates for Edgar Meyer and Bela Fleck on the Flecktones web site. It's filed under Tour Info / Bela's Solo dates.

I saw them perform last night at the IMAC Theatre in Huntington, NY. The soldout show was one of two and approximately 90 minutes+ long.
    Edgar's performance was stunning as he supported
    Bela's interpretations of classical works from "Perpetual Motion". Edgar and Bela also played several songs they had recently created together.
    My favorites were "Pileup" and the nameless song that followed it.

Edgar did solo compositions at least twice while Bela was looking on and sharing the crowd's amazement.
    He seemed to be dancing with the bass at times.

I would forget the ticket price of $30 as being high because Edgar's piano and bass playing alone was far in excess of that in value. I hope to see these two again in the future.

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Meyer performed at the Kennedy Center in DC 10 days ago: Bach Cello Suite No. 1, the Trout quintet, and a bass/cello/violin trio he composed. It was a terrific performance, but no more impressive than Bob Oppelt's perfomance of the Koussevitsky Concerto with the National Symphony last night.

It's been a good time for solo bass performance in D.C. lately...
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I found the info on Edgar's master class at the Manhattan School web site. I have no idea where Hubbard hall is, and the school failed to put a phone number on their web site, but here's what is listed:

Wednesday, February 20, at 4 PM
    Master Classes with Distinguished Artists
    Edgar Meyer, double bass
    Hubbard Recital Hall - FREE concert; no tickets required
  9. Saw Meyers and Fleck last night.
  10. The master class at MSM is in Hubbard hall, this Wednesday Feb. 20 at 5:00. Go in the main entrance on 122nd, and then up one flight of stairs. Ask at the desk if you get lost. See you there!
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  12. Broadway. You can take th 1/9 train either to 116 or 125. It's in between the two stops.
  13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Great, and thanks! I'll be there for certain!
  14. Sabin, Parker:
    So, where were you guys? I got there early, checked out guys coming in (that can be dangerous). Never saw you. I was the one holding the big sign that said "I'M NOT CHRIS FITZGERALD."
    Actually, I sat up in the balcony. One of the performers hipped me that the sound was best up there.
    I learned my lesson. So many worthwhile things were said, I couldn't remember them all. Next time, I'll take notes. Man, Meyer's chops are unbelievable.
  15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I was sitting in the right, front seat of the middle section on the floor. I'm the one that talked to him briefly about nervousness between students. Matt Hughes was sitting next to me for about the second half of the whole thing.
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You too? I was there doing exactly the same thing. While in the city, I had borrowed some money from some shady looking dude whose friends were looking for me, hence the sign. What was your excuse?
  17. I took my teacher and friend to the concert. He had never heard of Bela Fleck. It turns out that just before we back stage to see Edgar, Jim found out that one of his best friends in the Army orchestra was Bela's stepfather.

Small world......

BTW...I had never heard of Bela Fleck, but was I impressed.

Also some little black guy named Victor (whats his name) came on stage in the beginning of the second set and had a ball with Edgars bass then played his slab with them. It was very impressive.

18. Something tells me I made a BIG mistake.