1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Edgar Meyer

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Mar 25, 2006.

1. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    WOW! Today Edgar Meyer was in Chattanooga performing his Concerto in D with the symphony. He was amazing. He did a lot of quirky things that was kinda cool. During rest he would do things such as wipe the strings, rosin his bow, and even tune his bass. He came out sleeves rolled up red suspenders. He had this "I'm the man" demeanor. He was amazing. I was able to get in the back with a few of my youth symphony friends and meet him in person. It was a private family reception so it took a while to talk to him. He was flat out amazing. I just can't say that enough. He autographed the page of my program with his picture on it and everything. Like 500 of his family came to the reception. Mainly because he is from east Tennessee. Well, just wanted to share the experience.

2. So I take it you want your money back?

3. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    LOL never. I got in free since I was in the youth symphony. He really was a treat to watch. I met up with several old friends who came from all around Tennessee to see Edgar. I'm not going to make this a who's better thread but he is one of if not the best bassist in the world.

4. I saw him in Milwaukee a few weeks back, where he played Bottesini #2 and his own Concerto #1 back-to-back. After the concert, he did a "Meet the Artist" Q&A with a large group, and then hung around to talk to all the bass players. He and I had a fairly long discussion about bowings for the 1st Bach Cello Suite Prelude, along with his decision to probably never record the remaining suites. Seemed like a very generous, patient guy who was willing to share this knowledge with a perfect stranger.

Another note about the concert; during intermission, I happened to notice that Richard Davis was sitting two rows behind me! If a bomb had gone off, it would've wiped out about half the bassists in Wisconsin, I think!

5. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    He played one of the Bach Cello suites for his encore. The crowd clapped so long that he left and came back out 3 times. It was a joyful experience.

6. I guess the crowd wanted their money back too.

7. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm really sorry you had to go through that. :smug:

I was on tour when he played his concerto and the Bottesini with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, such bad timing... :crying:

8. Yeah....I know what you mean. I saw him play in October here in Vegas....he played his own Concerto #1, and then the Bottesini Gran Duo for bass and violin. Even now, several months later, every other phrase out of my mouth is "Edgar is amazing." He is so relaxed when he plays....he seems laid back, but not remotely lazy. And even though he plays perfectly and really commands the attention of the audience, he never seems big headed or egotistical. I didn't get to talk to hmi (unfortunately), but listening to him discuss music is just an enlightening experience.

9. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Cocoa, FL
    I caught a performance with Mike Marshall in South Bend, IN a couple weeks ago!!! Wow!!! I felt a little guilty though, because I caught myself paying as much attention to Mike as I did Edgar. Those guys are both monsters. I think they introduced about 5 or 6 tunes as "duet" or "duet - for two". It was a great time.

10. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    A friend loaned me the DVD that came with Edgar and Bela Fleck's album Music for Two. I watched it a few times, and Edgar is phenominal to watch! The canon that he wrote (the one on the CD in 15/8 time :)) is a work of pure genius! I'm going to try to get tickets next time he's anywhere close to where I live.

11. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    You are all lucky to see this man live... I live in New Zealand and he hasn't been here. I finally found a recording of Edgar, "Uncommon Ritual" ,and can now see what all the fuss is about! I'll be tracking down the cello suite recording today.
    Richard

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Edgar is going to be playing with the CSO here in denver next year- I am really looking forward to it as he is one of my favorite musicians.

13. camCARV03

camCARV03

Apr 23, 2006
    memphis, TN
    edgar's the man.

14. Ugh, when you said CSO, I thought you meant Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Then two words later you said Denver. Talk about a let down...

Anyway, Edgar has a new self-titled CD coming out this Tuesday. All of the tracks are his own compositions and he's playing all of the instruments so it should be interesting.

So who's getting it?

15. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee