1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Edgar Meyer's bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by IdealWay, Jun 13, 2012.

1. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
  2. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Looks like duct tape :D

But seriously thanks for the great clip.

3. Buncha' stuff crosses my mind. He's famous for liking cheap, heavy bows and also for throwing them on the floor during pizz. It looks like a metal implant, so I figure he had his luthier do this for weight and saving more injury to the bow.

4. Looks like silver wrapping to me

Jason Sypher likes this.
  5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    To add weight, I sometimes put a penny or 2 under the hair at the tip of the bow...

6. its a repair job-that bow has been around for a long time and edgar is getting close to retiring it. still his favorite bow by far so he uses it for concerts and recording sessions only

7. looks like lead tape...like that used by golfers to add that little extra weight behind the club head. You can find this at any pro shop.

8. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I think Edgar is using a newer bow these days.

9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    This is a serious question for a relative newbie. Why would you want more weight at the tip? Me I wish my decent student bow was lighter across the board.

10. Adding weight at the tip of the bow allows it to sit into the string better without having to torque it when you are playing out at the tip. Some add weight to rebalance the bow.

11. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    That's a strapping, probably to repair a crack along the grain of the bow. It looks like wire or metallic thread, which would certainly add some weight, but my theory would be that it is primarily a repair and not done to add weight. I have something similar on one of my bows, but it was done with some kind of nylon thread and adds virtually no weight. Less visible, too.
    Funnily enough, that bow is lighter than I'd like, but any time I added weight to the tip it messed up the balance and feel of the bow, so in the end I just kept the weight the way the bow maker intended.