Edgar Meyer's tuning

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Mark Steel, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Just read an article about Edgar Meyer which stated that he plays in "EBEA solo tuning." Sounds unusual. Anyone else ever tried this tuning?
  2. a e b #f one note higher than standard tuning is the solo tuning but I think Edgar Mayer uses an fingered extension which gives him a low d. See an online string dealer and you can see these solo sets which are somtimes used by jazz players tuned down to g d a e, this gives you a very light action with less volume.
  3. I just heard Edgar play a few weeks ago and when asked about his tuning, he explained that it is, from top to bottom, A, E, B and E/C (depending on whether or not his extension is open. The point is, he basically uses solo tuning except for the bottom string, which is tuned to standard orchestra pitch.

I'm guessing he couldn't find a long solo extension string and got used to playing that way. Thomastik is rumoured to actually make a long F# (or extension D) but I have yet to actually see one in person. I tried ordering one for quite some time several years back, but finally gave up trying.
  4. I stand corrected sorry. although I have heard his CD's I have never heard him live. His recorded sound is one of the best I've heard.