Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ediscson Ruiz video

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JeremyKurtz, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Wow! Thanks for the link, Jeremy.

2. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Nice! He's a bit good isn't he!? Quite probably be one to watch given his age. Cool link :D

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, I am almost 18... by the time Edicson Ruiz was my age, he was in Berlin Philharmonic?!

I guess his orchestra job alone speaks to his technique and talent.

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Excellent. Thanks so much for the link.

5. Thank you kindly for the link, he's absolutely fabulous....must be the type of player who's been playing since the age of 2!!! as soon as they come out with little itty bitty doublebasses i'm buying one for my 2 year old daughter

6. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous tone.

7. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    And he looks so cute in his white bow tie!:hyper:

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Great technique. The guy looks like he's expending zero effort.

9. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    HIS SOUND...it was milky

10. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I want to play that solo. It may cost $40 and take 40 days when I order it from lemur, but hey, it's amazing. I really love the second movement's interesting harmony between the bass and orchestra as if it isn't a bass concerto, but a piece for orchestra and double bass obligato. The accompaniment is one of my favorite parts as it compliments the bass playing in the same way basses compliment other parts of the orchestra.

This concerto is apparently becoming widely popular, and some day, hopefully, it will be among the standard concertos that we all have come to love... except Dittersdorf.

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting story about this bassist. Apparently when he joined Berlin, he arrived there with no money and no tuxedo, just his bass. Simon Rattle had to lend him a tux for a while until he could afford one of his own.

12. Wow, amazing playing. 19 and already in the Berlin Phil? That's inspiring! But I really didn't care much for this concerto. It's a little too boring, and I thought it lacked character.

But the playing was great. One question though: why didn't he memorize it? I thought memorization was standard practice, especially when performing with such a prestigious group.

13. dannbass

dannbass

Aug 5, 2003
    OH
    However, he was not perfoming with the Berlin Phil, he was playing with the Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar... and I think it was prior his job with the Berlin Phil. :smug:

14. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Joel Quarrington didn't memorize the Harbison Concerto when he premiered it with the TSO, and Enrique Dindo didn't either when he played both Shostakovich Cello Concerto's with the TSO...Perhaps times are changing.

15. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Wow, that is amazing. He appears to be playing a laminated bass! I can't imagine how he draws such tone out of plywood.

16. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    He's playing very on the string and relatively near the bridge. He probably has on some dominants. I find dominants give you a very clear and crisp tone.

17. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    No no no! Absolutely no laminated bass can get that brilliant, clear sound. His bass looks like a German bass probably made within the 20th century. There are countless basses from Germany that look just like the one he's playing.

18. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Nor could he get into the Berlin Phil with a laminated bass.

19. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno about that.... He seems to have gotten into Berlin beyond circumstances that most people never have to deal with.