Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edit GT-6B patches on computer using editor/librarian software?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bieger, Dec 3, 2002.

1. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use an editor/librarian to create and edit patches on the GT-6B?

I would find it MUCH easier to create awesome patches if I had all the parameters available to me on a large computer screen.

If so, which editor/librarian supports the GT-6B (either inherently other with some type of profile download)? Does Roland have any dedicated software available like they do for their XV synths?

If nothing is currently available, but it is possible to CREATE a profile or program to edit the GT-6B, is anyone interested in collaborating with me to do this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont know if such a program exists, and I dont know enough to create such a program, but I am definetly interested!

Im planning on getting one for X-Mas, and I might actually be picking it up tomorrow.

If you find out any info, please post it, or PM me.

Peace
    Nick

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmm there probably will be very very soon if theres not one.. I have one for my gt-6 =D
    all you need is midi cables!! ..
    you can send em back and forth..
    goto Tinfoils yahoo gt-6b usergroup. Its growing i think .. where is tinfoil??? dude are you there?? so many gt-6b questions.. i have only used the unit a number of times.. and i love it .. as for the gt-6.. thats my little beast. Hmm goodluck finding an editor..
    =D

4. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    i sure would like one too...GT-6B rox!:cool:

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

That and A EFFECTS LOOP?

I hate the way the world loves the guitar player.:mad:

AJ

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I wonder if someone with kowledge of this sorta thing could easily write a program bassed off the GT-6 program for the GT-6B.

Im sure if its possible that itd be easier than starting from scratch.

Peace
    Nick

7. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    How might we find out if that is possible? Who wrote the GT-6 program? Is it a standalone program or a profile for an editor?

I don't mind sending out a few emails or making a few calls, but I don't exactly know where to start. I think this something that can benefit all of us GT-6B users...

Any advice or starting points?

J

8. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    i emailed some one from here some time ago and asked if he was planning to add support for the 6B. he said no... :(

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

someday hopefully!

9. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    I assume you wrote the author of the program? Maybe he or she would allow somebody else to use it as a start to create the GT-6B program.

Would you mind emailing to ask? I searched on the site you posted, but didn't find too much.

Thanks,

J

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ahem.. im not a guitar player..
    im a drummer who picked up bass and loves the bass but plays guitar once and a while.. heh...heh..

anyyyyyyway
    The gt-6.. well the effects loop can come in handy but i dont have alot of good effects.. im too lazy to plug it up and i dont have enough chords to put in all my effects. Also from fooling with the unit if i understand You actually control whats in the effects loop by the gt-6.. so it kinda sucks =( like theres an external distortion switch.. but it doesn't sound the same as if you were just running it to the distortion then to the amp *poop*.
    Partheus Software has the Gt-6 Manager.. its a standalone program. And it has the patches listed on a screen and you can click on each patch and tweek it to your liking. Other people also have the Syx files that they upload of there own patches that they exported from the gt-6.. and gt-5 and
    gt-3... you are right. I would add an effects loop to the gt-6 and also create a program for it. =(
    i cant program very good though. If any programers on talkbass would like to use the engine though you can find that program on bossgtcentral and the Big Boss gt-6 usergroup on Yahoo.com
    I was supposed to get the gt-6b for my birthday but those idiots at mars told my dad the gt-6 for guitar was the EXACT same thing. Hah.. ohwell.. I like it anyway. Its a very good unit. I would like the gt-6b though =/ maybe ill buy it in the next couple months when i get a job!

EDIT: The official website for the gt-6 manager is:
    http://www.bossgt3.co.uk/

..good little program.. they need to make one for us bassist.. I do all my stuff manual cause i dont have midi cables. sad isnt it *frown*.
    oh well.. good luck

11. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the info. I wrote the guys or gals at Partheus Software and said that I would be interested in having such software for the G5-6B and said there are others like myself. I also just called BOSS/Roland and asked them if
    1) They had or are working on editor software
    2) They would commission Partheus software to create it
    3) They knew of any Unisyn or Soundiver profiles available

Unfortunately, the answer was no on all accounts. Perhaps, if others called and expressed interest, they would build or commission software to be built.

Boss/Roland's customer support number for FX is:
    323.890.3700 x2498

12. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    This sounds interesting. I'm thinking about picking up a GT-6B for christmas. One of my housemates is a 5th year computer science major and a musician, so I'll ask him if he would be willing to work on some software. He could probably figure something out fairly quickly after looking at the source code for the GT-6 software.

I'll be sure to let you guys know if anything comes of this.

13. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Nate, that would be awesome. I could do the graphic design/UI design, if need be. That's what I do for my day job.

I looked the two big editor/librarians, Emagic Soundiver and MOTU Unisyn, but neither listed profiles for the GT-6B. Soundiver did have a manual for creating profiles though. I'm not sure how complex it is.

Jeremy

14. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm actually a programmer and I have a gt-6b so this does look like an interesting project indeed. I have visions of using a portable widgit set (there are several to choose from) so it would work in linux and windows and mac and so on... and making it open source so future people don't have to beg the author to make new versions like they do now. Maybe I should start a project on sourceforge.

15. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    AWESOME! We should talk and figure out how to best start. This is gonna be cool!

16. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    Ok, I've submitted a project request to sourceforge.net. Hopefully they will approve it in the next few days. I'll post back on this forum when I have more information. Eventually you will want to get an account on sourceforge so when I start a mailing list from the site we can discuss development and so on. Cool! Here's the project description I sent them to tell them why they should let me start the project on their site:

17. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    That looks awesome. I feel my biggest contribution to the project can be the UI design. We should take a look at other editors and critique them so that we can copy what is done well and improve upon a few weaknesses, in terms of usability, functionality, and architecture.

Jeremy

18. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    All right! It's approved. The site is available here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxedit/

Create an account on sourceforge if you don't have one already. I've created a mailing list you can sign up to although it will take "a few" hours for it to be created.

19. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    boy o boy can't wait!
    i'll help too but I don't know how I could possibly....

20. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Cool. I registered @ source forge, and I'm now brainstorming on paper about what I would like to see in terms of functionality and usability.

I suppose it makes sense to get feedback from other people on this board about what they would like to see how they would like to use this tool.

I'll compile the list and create some mockup graphics trying to take everyones' ideas into account. It would also be great for people to let us know if they would be willing to help out and what they might be able/willing to do.

I'll also start with a few of my ideas. Feel free to react, agree, or disagree with my ideas. I'm really just using them as a starting point. I don't know how feasible any of these ideas are and am aware that we may need to pair down, especially for an initial release.), but the following is what I came up with:

In terms of usuability and look and feel, I am imagining a map of the signal path (e.g., compressor, amp, cabinets, FX, EQ, etc.) on the left part of the page (comprising maybe 15% of the screen). When you click on any part of the signal path, you would see the parameters of that portion of the signal chain on the right side (85%) of the page. For, example, if you clicked on "amps and cabinents," you might be able to click on an SWR head and route it to an Ampeg 4x10" cabinent with a simple patch cable.

Other things that would be cool, in terms of functionality: It would be cool to get continuous updates as you change the parameter. For example, it might be cool to be able to hear the effects of an EQ change in realtime as you make changes. (Drawable EQ curves would be awesome, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're very difficult to code so this might not be the best example...)

It would be cool to be able to suck a patch out of the GT-6B, to use it as a starting point for another patch. For example, I find most of the patches on the GT-6B to be "too much" to use as is. If I could suck the patch out, tone down the FX a little and then save it back to a User Bank, I would be stoked.

That's good for a starting point. Any reactions?

Jeremy