1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

edition of Bottesini Grand Duo #3

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by JeremyKurtz, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I have the Liben edition of the 3 Bottesini Grand Duos (Duetti?), but always find it awkward that they are written at sounding pitch . . .meaning you have to transpose up an octave if you're reading as we normally do. Does anyone know if there is another edition written at the standard pitch?

I saw another post that was panning the Yorke version for having too many edits . . . but I could still deal with that if it is at the normal pitch. Does anyone have that edition?

thanks,
    Jeremy

2. stkowalski

stkowalski

Apr 2, 2008
    i have worked with both editions, the yorke edition typically has some mistakes in the part, mainly some cleff mistakes, but is totally workable. it is my impression that the third bottesini grand duo by yorke is the best of the bunch. who was ripping on that one???? the second gran duo has the most problems, of course use both scores to steer a course thru the tricky waters of rodney slatford! hope this helps.

stanley

3. Yorke has quite a few typo mistakes in a lot of their scores but they are, as you say, totally workable. THe mistakes are mostly of the missing note tail (i.e. an 8th instead of a 16th) or the tail is on the wrong side of a beam. Clef mistakes and missing accidentals are also more common that we would like. However I could add this: Bottesini duets are meant to be played from memory so learning the piece should give you a chance to sort these things out. The page turns are way too many for a 'reading' performance. I often learn Bottesini for the piano score so I'm forced to fit everthing in and double check what's on the page before comitting it to tactyl memory.
    Good luck with the Duo No.3!
    FC

4. dirty_harold

dirty_harold

May 23, 2010
    lemur music has a copy of the duets, does anyone have it or know if it's a good copy?

5. Just read it up an octave. A skill you will probably need in life.

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    + 1000. I am not a classical player but my copy of his "Elegy in D" written at pitch and wasn't that hard to work out.