1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Edmund Fitzgerald and the Ore Boats of the Lakes...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jsbass, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqhFiEqs1IY

I'm sure anyone from up north in the Great Lakes Region knows about the Edmund Fitzgerald. I am just curious if anyone on here knew anyone who was on the Edmund Fitzgerald, or worked/is currently working on an ore boat. If any member of TB has or is on an ore boat please give me some feedback as I would love to find out some more information...

Other than that, enjoy the video as it is a bit of history and something that us northerners take seriously.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i live on the west side of cleveland, my village (yes it's so small were a village) is right on Lake Erie. I went to high school with a kid who's dad was a tugboat driver and used to bring the big Ore ships into port.

Very sad about the Edmund Fitzgerald, also very sad is that song by Gordon Lightfoot, what a terrible song and singer IMO.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    My sister-in-law dated a guy from my high school class that died on the Edmund Fitzgerald. Bruce Hudson was his name. Obviously conditions can get real bad, real quick on Lake Erie.

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Lightfoot's not much of a singer, but he writes a decent tune, IMO.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It was either the History Channel or another education channel that had a show on what may have caused the boat to sink. Really interesting and sad at the same time.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I worked in a factory in Ashland, Wisconsin in the mid 90's and my supervisor's husband was a cook on the Edmund Fitzgerald (not the same cook from the song :smug: ). She had been on the boat nemerous times and knew several of the victims.

There was a sister ship to the Edmund Fitzgerald called the S.S. ARTHUR B HOMER and I saw her once (I think it's the same one, I'll have to check) as she unloaded coal at the Ashland coal yard. I've took about fifteen shots of it on Kodachrome.

7. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Very neat, I didn't think anyone would have been somewhat related to it on here.

Oh, and about the song, at least the bass playing isn't too bad, eh?

8. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Nice, I was taught that song in gradeschool, but I didn't remember any of the words :(

9. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    I actually live in the Northwestern UP (Keweenaw)....Ive stood on the shores of Superior during a winter storm. Ive never felt such power from a lake. I was knocked down by gusts. I hear bar stories occasionally about the ship wreck from the locals.

I hold a lot of respect for the guys rolling by in those boats...

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i could probablt get you some info theres a song in Newfoundland call The Edmund Fitzgerald

11. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    or, the reck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, one of the 2 lol

12. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    I decided to throw a picture in of Superior taken on the 4th of July this summer. Fog like this is typical in the mornings. (Not bad for a 2 Megapixel camera phone)

n6603579_30845443_7579.

rocky.

mts.

The previous 3 pictures were taken on the Island in this Picture
    island.

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I work in Bay Village and Westlake, and live in Fairview Park. My GF's dad's dad's uncle was an rumrunner. I don't know if that counts :)

And for those who don't know, rumrunners would smuggle alcohol from Canada in the days of the prohibition. He didn't get caught or anything but prohibition ended almost as soon as he started. An interesting story if nothing else.

14. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I spent a weekend at a house north of Detroit a few years ago. Beyond the front porch was a canal, one of the passages between Huron and Erie. The ships that went through were monstrously huge. Just hulking masses of steel. Very cool.

There's a band in Ann Arbor that taps into the Great Lakes maritime culture and history quite a bit, The Great Lakes Myth Society.

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was in HS but I remember the reports and the song well. The song while not bad, was terribly overplayed and includes one of the worst lyric lines in song-writing history "fellers it's been good to know you".:D

I didn't know any crew members, but I have spent many a summer Musky fishing the mouth of the Taqhemenon river near Whitefish point. I also made a couple of winter camping cross country ski trips in the area while in college and their is no sight like a rough Lake Superior. It is truly an awesome lake and if your in a boat or the Isle Royal ferry ( been there) and it's rough you feel very small. There was a storm in 1913 when 19 ships went down and another 19 were stranded. Those big lakes are the real deal. Very beautiful but they command respect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913

16. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I don't know where you're at in Wisconsin, jsbass, but the maritime museum in Manitowoc is pretty cool. Lots of stuff about ore in there.

Wisconsin Maritime Museum

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Man, that looks like a really cool maritime museum--it even has submarines! I hope to get an opportunity to visit it some time soon.

18. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I learned to sail on Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands and one thing I learned quickly is that the weather can turn from sunny with a pleasant breeze, to full gale, with lightning and hail in the space of ten minutes. In June of '91, I had the unpleasant experience of being caught in a sudden storm (in my house right on the shoreline) that pushed huge waves from the lake right across the street and knocked over countless trees. My wife and I hid in the neighbor's cellar for a half an hour. I talked to the marina master the next day and he said their wind guage read 107 mph before it was ripped off the building. :eek:

The SEVONA wreck is just as tragic as the Edmund Fitzgerald and was also during a November gale.
    http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_sevona_final.cfm

19. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    As far as the song goes, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot isn't too bad, but it's on every f------ jukebox in every town anywhere near Lake Superior and I just got so sick of hearing it. :rolleyes:

20. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Cool man, I've been up on the Keweenaw peninsula... Hancock/Houghton area.