1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Educate me on Samick "Valley Arts" series basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajkula66, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Bumped into one of these locally, and it seems like an almost perfect candidate for a "project" that I'm intent on setting up for my bass-playing son. Black/maple P-Bass clone, with a weird headstock that refers to "Valley Arts Custom Pro Shop" as the designer behind this piece.

The bass is in decent condition for a 25-year-old instrument, needs a setup and I'd probably swap out the electronics since I was not all-that-impressed with the stock offering.

I've played a couple of *real* Valley Arts guitars back in the early 90s along with a few Samicks from different eras, but have never ran into one of these. More than anything else, I'd be interested in finding out what the body is made out of, since it's remarkably light for a full-size-Precision. Some idea of its market value would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all wisdom fellow TB members can share on the matter at hand.

2. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I dunno about the Valley Arts Samick but I bought a Samick Artist Series bass for my son mid 90's and he used it for quite a few years before he upgraded to another more expensive bass. I own his Samick now and have it tuned BEAD..its a great little bass. Hopefully somebody here on TB can supply some info on your Valley Arts model.
    Samick Artist Series.JPG

fender68 and BurnOut like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    @Giffro :

That's a pretty bass and has obviously provided your family with decades of service. Something to be said about that for sure.

4. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Since you say its light, and Samick is the largest builder of string instruments HQ'ed in SE Asia body might be basswood.

5. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Pretty sure it is Basswood...at least on my Artist Series 4 string.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yeah that was my initial guess as well. I'm a bit surprised that no one has chimed in with any pertinent info on the model in question yet...

7. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I passed on a green one on our local CL for a buck, still regret it.
    Nice bass.

Giffro likes this.
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    @RickyWoo :

Thanks a million for the link. It was an interesting read indeed.

I ended up picking up the bass and my son likes it a lot. In very near future it will be getting a Geezer installed which is all that I believe it needs to start sounding presentable.

RickyWoo likes this.
  9. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    No problem. I owned one and still miss it!

10. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones

May 8, 2018
    Dubuque
    I have one that I have played for over 20 years. The only problem that I have had is with the wiring for the active pickups. It has a passive setting by pulling out the tone nob. I play passive most of the time so I do not worry about the wiring!! When I let other bass players play it they are very surprised by it.