1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Educate Me on Slapping!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jul 19, 2012.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Hey guys, I was just checking out some technique videos and
    as I was watching this one, at 1:06 and 1:10 the guy hits some kind of a triplet that sounds really sweet.

http://youtu.be/zla-61iF7m0?t=1m1s

I'm getting into slapping more, though it really isn't useful for the bands I'm in now, I'm just trying to be more well rounded I suppose.
    I have trouble only hitting one string when I slap, but I'm getting better at that.

But anyways, I was wondering if anyone could give me a technical description of how to play a triplet as demonstrated in this video.
    Oh and maybe some general pointers at using slapping and popping at the same time.
    I can slap okay, but my popping is just bad. :rolleyes:

2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA

3. Mongolian Bass

Mongolian Bass

Dec 28, 2008
    As far as the triplet goes, I think he is doing an index pop followed by a down then up stroke with the thumb. The same rhythm can be achieved by starting with the thumb strokes then the pop, but I like the attack he gets when he starts with the pop.

A more in-depth look at this double thumbing technique can be seen in this video with Victor Wooten:

And my advice overall is to take it easy, don't try to rush and become the next slap bass behemoth. I personally started learning slap by learning songs in which Flea slapped. Such as Jungle Man, Can't Stop, and Aeroplane. Another slap song I think that can be good for fundamental technique building is Sly and the Family Stone's Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin).

4. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Oh, haha. Thanks. :D

Thank you. I'll check those out.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Aeroplane already? A little ambitious ;). I would say Flea is a great springboard for learning how to slap. Easy and fun lines. Once you can play one well, you can kind of play them all. Then you can graduate onto various songs of double thumbing and other tricks and you'll get your own style.