1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Educate me on your favorite effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spanndrew, Apr 23, 2015.

1. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I love effect pedals, but I realized that I really only know a few brands, I know and like stuff from: Aguilar, Fuzzrocious, Darkglass, MXR, Tech 21 and EHX.What else is out there that you guys like and why?

2. I really like the TC Electronics Corona Chorus. Very subtle and lush sounding. Pop this over the top of some dirt and it's very expensive and synthy sounding. For dirt, I like three pedals: On the end of the three is a MXR El Grande Bass fuzz...with the internal switch and pot moved to the outside case. The beginning of my dirt chain has a Wampler Ecstacy, which makes a great clean boost or 2 band EQ or a great overdrive (great for chords and single notes stuff). In the middle of those two is my Fairfield Barbershop...a really nice sounding clean overdrive. I use the Wampler to spank the barbershop into fuzz land. All thee dirt pedals are great and they all cascade well (but not all three....that's just wrong). I really like my Zoom MS70CDR for ambiance (delays and verbs), which excels at.
    I use a Boss Tuner, great for tracking my fretless intonation. Then my EBS Multicomp compressor...as simple as it gets...one know for compression and the other for gain. it's a no-brainer and it just works. Next is my MXR bass preamp. It's good and clean...and very versatile. Next up is my MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, a Timmy Overdrive and then a MXR Bass Envelope Filter. The MXR bass overdrive works well between them but the Timmy is better suited and more transparent sounding. It's also better and taming the hot output from then MXR BOD (not sure why MXR didn't fit an output knob on this one).
    My basic chain is Tuner > Compressor > EQ > Funk > Dirt > Ambiance

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well, at least you know some good ones! Most people new to effects only know Boss :(

The entire TC Electronic line is stellar as well, I feel they make some of the best Chorus/Flanger/Vibrato type pedals and now they have a Phaser and Loopers and of course the Polytune is the best tuner on the market.

There are so many good brands out there that it's not fair to say, but you really could cover all the bases (basses?) with TC, MXR, Darkglass, Fuzzrocious, and Aguilar. Throw Earthquaker Devices in there for some weirdness!

4. I have tech 21, boss, digitech, and bbe.

I think it just depends on what kind of effects your going to use.

For me tech 21 takes care of all my dirt. I have a couple sans amps that range from nice overdrive to all out distortion.

Boss is a company where I've hated more of their pedals than liked. But certain boss pedals just work for me. currently using an old boss cs-2 compressor(didn't like the cs-3), I use a ce-5 (didn't like the bass chorus), and I use a dd-3 which is actually a pretty popular delay for bassist.

Digitech wise. I like a few. Particularly the jamman line because all of them except the express (which doesn't have a upgradable memory card) can be used as samplers. I've owned the new bass whammy and it was a lot of fun but just couldn't really figure out how to work it into my bands material. I've used the bass multi chorus in the studio which is a very cheap pedal with a sketchy bypass but has a really big/obvious chorus sound where a lot of other chorus pedals are so subtle it's kinda like why bother.

As far as bbe I've been using the sonic stomp for a while. It keep it inside my rack because it's the last pedal in the chain and it's always on. Really seems to help clean up my signal after the other pedals and also gives me a little more EQ. I particularly like being able to get a little boost at 50hz using the low contour where my sans amps and onboard eq on my bass seems to effect the low end differently, maybe because they focus on slightly different frequencies or something.

5. Envelope filters. Buy them all. Beigel effects, Moog, SubDecay, WMD, Maxon, 3Leaf, Source Audio, along with MXR and EHX. Each one is it's own special sound.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  6. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
  7. bcoomes

bcoomes

Feb 6, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I tend to hang on to pedals for a while and then sell/trade just to try new stuff. Currently, my chain goes: tuner>EHX Epitome (Micropog, Electric Mistress, and Holy Grail in one)>TC Corona Chorus>TC Classic XII Phaser>RC Booster clone>Tech 21 VT Bass. The only two that are completely indispensable are the tuner and VT Bass. Beyond those, I really like to have some kind of modulation on my board with chorus being my go-to right now.

If I had a little extra cash I would join Pedal Genie. The music stores in town have pitiful pedal selections - that's the main reason I trade so much.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've recently purchased a markbass mini bass distortion. I like this pedal for it's heavy grind. from my perspective, it has a sound that's similar to the distortion channel of a fender rumble v3 bass amp. I dig the sounds. I also like the ebs metaldrive. this pedal I like for it's warm heavy sounds. I use to own one. I might purchase it again.

as for chorus pedals, I like the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus. it's simply the best chorus pedal I ever use on bass. this pedal has a smooth lushful sound at an affordable price. I also like the ebs unichorus. even though this pedal is a little pricey, it does have a phenomenal chorus sound. I might consider buying one if I ever needed a new chorus pedal for any reason.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    For bass, I mostly play without effects, but I do use a Dunlop volume pedal--partly for volume swells--which can work well in some songs.
    Some volume pedals are more like on/off switches-they seem to change too fast--but the Dunlop one is nice & even.

For effects, when I use them, I love my Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah--some cool sounds that give me options for clear sounds and dirt sounds.
    They add an extra something to the fretless sound on my SR500F, but also on my fretted EB3 copy.

if I'd had one of them when I started bass, I may have played it more often back then.