Educate me please-- on ICE power modules?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    yep they did, discontinued bye bye. main focus is tube, solid state class AB

2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

They prefer to be called "Inuit".....;):D

slagheap and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Um, okay.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Andy and Charlie are two experts at the implementation and integration of class D modules in bass amps. In the Tantra we are using an Ice module.

Ice is by far the top supplier for class d modules in bass amps. Charlie and Andy disagree with me in module preference. All amp modules sound different and Ice is no exception. Anyone that says otherwise are just---wrong.

I'm trying modules from another manufacturer that does semi-custom work---there are changes they can do to suit specific builds. I'm getting VERY good results.

alaskaleftybass and wave rider like this.
  5. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    There are manufacturers that use different modules than the ICE. The top modules are pretty competitive (at their respective price points) I think that Jule Potter offers both Ice or Hypex modules.

One thing about Ice--the module I'm using is an older 1000 watt amp. It is bullet-proof. I've done stupid stuff with other modules and caused them early retirement. I'm embarrassed to admit, but I've done even dumber stuff with the Ice. They are SUPER durable.

Peavey makes their own module. I wouldn't worry about the module used. While Ice are fantastic modules---there are other brands that are competitive.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    FWIW, I see it as a "horses for courses thing." I gigged very happily with something based on the module you prefer for many years and am about to do a remake on one of my older builds using the smaller (500 watt) version of it. And in any case, I thought the Tantra sounded great during my brief listen at NAMM. Yel_wink.gif

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    To further this comment, it should be noted that many of the visceral "haters" of class D amps have developed in part because of their personal (costly) experiences with failures and problems. Price and perceived differences take a major back seat to long term reliability IMO. Perhaps some of those folks wouldn't be so sour on the technology if they had not been burned by failure in the past?

Also, for manufacturers who offer long transferable warranties, poor reliability is pretty much the kiss of death.

8. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Dec 4, 2004
    IIRC Orange weren't using an ICEpower module; it was something based around the IRS2092 chip, but I don't know if the module itself was proprietary or bought-in.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    IcePower has nothing to do with IR's IRS2092 platform.

slagheap and alaskaleftybass like this.
  10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Will threw a party and TB legends dropped by! :smug:

Thanks to everyone chiming in. One of the most valuable parts of Talkbass is this example of fine minds joining in discussions about amps, basses, and sharing knowledge. I love it!

EDIT: I'm beginning to realize that ICE is just one member of the Class D amplifiers. I hope it's ok to say that?

BadExample likes this.
  11. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Yup.
    These guys are all competing with each other. When one comes out with something new the others better get caught up.The three top guys at Pascal were with Ice. Ice and Pascal are in Denmark. Hypex is in the Netherlands. Anaview is in Sweden. There are many others that I don't know about.
    The Ice guys have been great to deal with. Now if I could only get a sample of their new one------

alaskaleftybass and wave rider like this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Cat's out of the bag! I'm wondering how long it will be before 1,000 watt Class D's are affordable. Actually, they are pretty affordable now...

13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I believe the Carvin BX1600 is the lowest $/watt of any 2 ohm stable amp. Two channels bridgeable to 1600 W @ 4 ohms, so it's two 800 watt amps, but very affordable. In practical application, it has nothing against a D800 or other high powered amps in terms of power, unless you have two 8 ohm cabs (or one 4 ohm cab) that handles the bridged power, or you have 4 x 4 ohm cabs that handle each channel not bridged (with pairs in parallel). I will only put out about 300 or 400 watts to a single 8 ohm cab. I don't see that as bad; it's part of the extreme versatility. If you don't like knobs, tweaking, math and experimentation, it's probably a good amp to stay away from!

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks bro @BadExample I owned two Carvins, for some reason I just couldn't coax the sound out of them I was looking for. Knobs or math don't scare me but there was something just missing from the sound for me. Perhaps... too clean or transparent? I guess I like "colored" sound.... I dunno...

Bugeyed Earl and BadExample like this.
  15. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I get that bro. lefty. IDK about the smaller amps, but I discovered from a kind TBer how to get the tube grind waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the often said subtle, (BX1500/1600). Then for the "color," you have to invent it, but it's there. The smaller the amp, the less options. The big boys have 3 semi-para eq's (+/- 12 db) plus not-para bass and treble (+/- 12 db, and I can't recall the freq. on those) and a graphic eq section (9 bands, 50 to 5 KHz +/- 12 db). Add mid-scoup and whatever I've missed, and I don't see what kind of tone can't be dialed in. I completely get not wanting to mess with it though. Mesa and others make amps that will thrill you to death before touching a single eq knob. Nothing wrong with that and the Carvin warranty matches the price. I've never heard of a BX1600 failing. I'm sure they have, but you can't beat a 5 year warranty. Roll your dice with a carvin :D

16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sounds like a very versatile amp! Thank you for sharing bro @BadExample .

17. I own a Genz 6.0, 12.0, Carvin BX500, and a Peavey MM1000. I also owned a PF500. I am also currently auditioning a loaner Quilter BB800. The earlier 5-600 watt heads do their thing just fine for what they are. I believe they have all been surpassed by the newer generation of 800-1000 watt amps. In that the 2nd gen. Amps have a more substantial low end heft and punch and feel better than most earlier 1st gen. efforts I think most would agree. They FEEL more like the low end grunt off a lead sled or tube amp. Now for some of my quieter gigs that's no problem, but on others its mission critical to kick some buttay. YMMV

18. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Just had to chime in here... the warranty is one year. Five years is the cutoff for out-of-warranty service. After that they won't even touch it.
    I know this because my BX1500 failed after 13 months. I finally wanted to get it fixed this year and they won't do it because it's 6 years old.

19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    That's great to know. I didn't know they'd been steadily improving the D series, but it makes sense. One of the early complaints of the Class D amps was the lack of oomph. And you're right. Sometimes you need that "led sled" feeling of bottom end grunt. Glad the newer generation of Class D's are getting that.

20. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    very informative, indeed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021