Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edumacate me on rackmounts plz...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Okay,.. so... how the hell do rackmount effects work?... like, how do u engage them/disengage them during playing. from studying audio engineering, im guessing the rack FX i use are the same?.. if so, can u get like an overdive/distortion effect?
    and what are the major advantages of rack over stomp boxes (if any)

Cheers guys
    Peace
    Chips :bassist:

2. well, generally with rackmount FX, you get a floorboard along with it, where you can turn stuff on and off as you feel fit. on the other hand, you could also walk to the unit itself and change the patch.

depending on which rackmount unit you get, yes...unless no.

i think the advantages are that its less cluttered imo. you only have a floorboard, as opposed to a bunch of pedals sitting at your feet, yet some like that better. its personal preference.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is a topic I know very little of, so I'll be checkin' this out. I'm already getting to deep into floor effects to change over to a rack. Plus, I dunno, I don't like clutter, but I do like the pedal being right there! Know what I mean? But at the same time, sometimes I'm set to engage/disengage 3 effects pedals at once, that's a dillema I'm working on figuring out.

4. well, rackmount effects can do more than one effect at a time, and you can turn them on one at a time, like my Nightbass SE and X-15 setup, you can turn individual effects on an off, which is nice. the only downside for me is that although you can turn the pedals on and off, i like to tweak them live as well, which isn't as easy as bending down and turning a knob.
    matt. you can turn on three effects on at once with a rackmount, you just create a patch with the three that you want, and then switch to it when you need it...if you still like pedals, couldn't you just get a loooper with the 3 pedals on, and just switch to that loop when you want it?

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest, I have a Wobo 2 Looper, and when I want both my Q-Tron and Guv'nor on for a Sir Psycho Sexy kinda tone, I have them both in the same loop, and turn them on, then when I want both, I just stomp on Loop B button on the looper :smug: It's great.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's coming to the point where I might have to do that. I just can't spend any more money right now...

I should be getting my Jamman today. :hyper:

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I use an elderly Boss SE-50 which is a half space programmable multi-effects unit. It's controlled by a midi footcontroller which allows you to call up different patches & an expression pedal which allows you variable foot control of any assignable parameter - for instance the volume or length of a delay, speed of a chorus or leslie, or amount of distortion.

Here's what the controller looks like, as well as the rack (which usually sits on my amp, not the floor).

[​IMG]