EEK !!! Don't look at my profile!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by notduane, Jan 14, 2001.

1. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm kidding :D . I changed my "home page" to the Merchant EUB site. Why?...

Been doin' a lot of thinkin' lately (maybe too much). I come to realize
    it's pretty obvious I've been tryin' to get an "upright" tone from the gear I've
    been gettin' lately ~ Rob Allen, Fretless Ripper, etc.
    Why not save some of that money I been spendin' on strings, etc.,
    and get an upright? An EUB for starters.

I had a chance to futz-around on a 3/4 doghouse once, albeit briefly.
    There's a music store "franchise" in my area. Let's call `em "B-M".
    Yeah. B-M. That's about right :p . One of their stores has a real good
    sheet music section. I went there lookin' for bass transcriptions of
    Billy S. from "Eat `Em & Smile". As I was leavin' the store, I passed
    through the orchestral instruments area. I saw a 3/4 and started playin'.
    A salesperson came by with one of those "please-leave-now-without-making
    -a-scene" looks. Oh well :( . I vowed never to set foot in any of their stores again.
    The $$$ I've spent on gear since (well into 5 figures) ain't payin' for their
    snotty lessons :D . But that brief encounter with a bull-fiddle was somethin'.

So. I've decided to start savin' for an EUB. That Merchant seems pretty reasonable and
    has some design features I like. But I'm worried...does this mean I have to get
    an operation? Ya' know?...humerus-ectomy (get my funny bone removed).
    Them folks in the DB forums seem to be a rather serious bunch.
    Please don't banish me from BG! You'se guys are a hell of a lot more fun.
    I ain't gonna' unload my BG stuff. Well...maybe the Dean and the Jack Casady ;) .

Here's my future "wife" (we're planning a June wedding :p ) ~

2. yea man she is sexy, please tell us when you get it so we all can start ignoring your posts on the BG side.
    cheers to you and your rosin :D
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  4. sorry man i didn't make to bring a tear to your eye.
    and after listening to you wav all i can say is ouch!
    i will be waiting to hear you tapping out billy sheehan lines on it.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dude! I'm sorry :( ...I's just funnin' ;) .
    I thought we wuz the Lenny Bruce and Andy Griffith of T/B! :rolleyes::p .
    Hmmmm...Tappin' like Billy, eh? Ya' think maybe I should get a
    dull butter knife and do some scallopin' on my Rob Allen? :eek: :D
  6. diferent part of the country
    same sense of humor
    no offense will ever be taken :D
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I wouldn't bank on rubbing elbows with the DB bunch; your EUB is still gonna be ELECTRIC! :D
    I used to entertain myself thinking about buying an EUB(NO ONE here sells them...they'll order them & then I'll be stuck if I don't like it). Anyway, what I've noticed is this: some EUBs seem more ergonomic-friendly for us electric gadget-bass players(for that reason, I was considering the Azola Bug Bass or even the Kydd). On the other hand, some EUBs are meant to be played like an URB...if you venture UP the neck, you're gonna have to learn THUMB positioning(ouch!).

[Edited by JimK on 01-14-2001 at 12:25 PM]
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To NotDuane, I both envy and admire you for your decision to buy that yummy bass in the photo. Wish I could come up with a compelling excuse to buy one too and learn to play it, but I am fresh out of reasons. Anyway, keep us posted on when you buy and how you like it. I can enjoy it vicariously.

Jason Oldsted
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Whew !...
    It's all about fun, da**it! :p I can't go more than 3 posts without
    bein' a wise-@$$ (ask gruffpuppy :D ).
    I guess that's why I used the term "wife". I've made up my mind! :mad: .
    `Course I felt the same way when I said "yes" to the "until death do you part"
    part of the J/P's speil. Now I've been happily divorced goin' on 5 years.
    Huh. As I recall, it only took her `bout 3 years from the get-go to show me
    Dante's 7th level of hell (must be that "new math").
    Oooh...thanx for the warnin' !
    I have the power! :D I guess if I can adapt to a double-neck Rick
    (model 4080/12) without poppin' a disc, I'll get the "feel" for the "missus" :eek:
    Thank you VERY much for those kind words Jason~ (are you payin' attention g/p? :):p:D)
  10. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Mmmm... EUB... ;)

I've always wanted one of those things. Maybe I'll own one, some day. But for now, I'll keep noodling with my el cheapo Heco in Mexico Fenders. ;)
  11. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Just my .02. If you are hoping to get the URB sound, you are gonna be disappointed with anything less than a real live URB. If you have to use an amp to hear it, the best that you can hope for is a reasonable (or not) imitation of "the" URB sound. I haven't heard any induction PU and very few piezo that even come close.

I own all three instruments and the electric URB is the least versatile of all them. Granted, in reggae and a very few other styles of music, they sound good but I don't know anyone who can go smoothly from one genre of music to the other with the EURB.

The truth of the matter is, you can get a very decent Kay or Englehardt for not much more than a good amp will cost you. If you want the real sound, start with the real instrument.

One of the hardest things to learn on URB is to use your technique to get the volume and expression most of us demand. Learning this on an amplified instrument is impossible.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting! Most of us who have been banging around on URB for a long time have owned at leat one of those contraptions and everyone that I know ended up with them for sale or stuck away in the closet.

Please don't think that I'm just trying to rain on your parade. I'm not. I am just trying to save you from the same mistake that I've made and seen others make as well.

Just remember that there is almost nothing that you can do on the EURB that you can't do as well or better on a fretless EBG.

Just my opinions. YMMV.

12. hello again ND did i mention how sweet that EUB your thinking of purchasing looks. good luck with your new endevor and please keep me and the other BG's up to date on your transfer.

quick question what is a RIC model 4080/12
    i have had 2 4003 and presently own a 4001 but i have never heard of that model, got any pics.

have a nice week.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey too, me too!!!

Well, I'm not getting the Merchant, I've opted instead for this one (I'm too lazy to figger out how to post pix ;) ):

Well, actually the 5 string version of that one. I've played it, and despite it's decidely un-URB appearance, it is capable of some fairly realistic (to my ear at least) URB-ish tones. It also, due to the very good magnetic pickups, is capable of sounding like the ultimate electric fretless (the B is gonna be thunderous). Gets a GREAT Ampeg Baby Bass tone too. Best of all, it plays almost like an electric, just with a longer (much longer) scale length.

I'm getting my 2nd wife (and keeping the 1st one, she likes me playing bass, and getting new ones...heck she's almost as excited about the new "baby" as I am! :D) sometime in Feburary, hopefully about mid-month.

Don't let anyone talk you out of it, if you want to learn to play an instrument, do it. If you like it, and it sounds good to YOU, it's a valid instrument, no matter what anyone else says.

By the way, I've gotten a lot of good helpful answers to a question down there on the DB boards, no-one flamed me about getting a EUB, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask there.
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    hee-hee-hee [​IMG] . VERY similar to the LEFT one (color-wise).
    The bottom neck on mine was a 12-string (like the RIGHT one).
    NOW you know why I haven't forgiven the ex? (I had to pawn it, thanx to her) .

Gard SWEET! :D . I thought about the NSD, but figured all I'd need
    would be a piezo for fingerstyle (famous last words :rolleyes: ).
    I like the idea of the Merchant's "spruce spring bars" too.

[Edited by notduane on 01-14-2001 at 11:45 PM]
  15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Doe they make a 7 string EUB so we can get Sir JT's input?
  16. Yeah, we're not all big meanies down there. It's just comments from non-players like " Looking for an upright bass. I never played one before, but since I play BG, I should be able to pick it up in a week,right?" that get our
    pants in a wad. I myself have had a Merchant upright for 11 Years now, (I got one of the earliest ones) and I have nothing but good things to say about it.While I can understand Pkr's points on upright bass tone,There are of course compromises that you have to make. I have played The Zeta, The Azola, The Clevinger,The Kydd,The Vector, The Banchetti and the Merchant has the closest thing to an Upright feel that I have tried.What makes that possible is that patented spruce bar suspension system, none of those other EUB's have it. As for versatility. I have used it with a Jazz quartet, a salsa Band, and a big Band, sometimes all in the same day. As for durability, I have played it in 17 different countries and it has survived flood,fire, and being run over by a car. Try that with an Upright! (No, please don't!)To tell you the truth, of course given the choice I would always take the real thing over an EUB, but when circumstances are such that you don't have room or don't want to take your 12.000 upright out in the cold, the Merchant EUB is the best alternative. Did I mention Bill's a really nice guy to deal with as well?
    No, he didn't pay me to say that.:)
  17. Oh, BTW, Gard, have you tried playing that steinberger Arco yet? That is one area that I find all EUBs to be seriously lacking.
  18. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Wow! Thanx for the input reedo35 ! :D
    If Bill's anything like Rob Allen, I'll have no worries.
    I was sold on the spruce bar idea. I also went to the
    Barbera site via the link on the Merchant page and did some
    readin'. Very interesting, that "sandwiching" concept.
    Send him a tracing of your current bridge...:cool: !

I know what you mean Re the "lazy" newbie questions.
    I love to help out, but then why did God (Paul) create
    the search function? Sometimes, the answers are 2 threads
    away on the same page. Yet here's the same da*n question on
    the same da*n subject. If I do venture into the DB arena,
    I'll do my best NOT to be a dumb-@$$ ;)
  19. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Reedo and Notduane:

Reedo, your experience with the EURB far exceeds mine. My actual experience has been with an Ampeg baby. From what I read from other people who have tried, thier experiences have been similar to mine. Your points about mobility, I certainly have no argument with. That was the reason I invested in an EURB. I did overcome the mobility problem but I could never get the URB tone . I managed to get a reasonably good sound but it just wasn't "the" sound that I was looking for.

Notduane, As I said in my earlier post, YMMV! I would strongly advise you to find some way to try before you buy. The EURB may be your exact cup of tea. It didn't happen to be mine but, again, YMMV. What may be perfect for me may be totally unacceptable for someone else. I still have to stick with what I said earlier. If you want an URB sound, you'll get it quicker and easier with an URB.

I would like to hear some other opinions from bassists who have actually owned one.

Everything that I am saying is totally my opinion. My opinion is, of course, not written in stone. I wish you the very best, regardless of whether my taste agrees with someone elses or not. :)