1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

:eek: Ibanez

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Raiven, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Raiven

Raiven

Nov 28, 2005
    I was cleaning the neck of my Ibanez ErgodyneB and accidently managed to remove the varnish top layer on the fretboard.

Any recommendations or suggestions to sort this out?

Should I get some epoxy and apply it or is there another varnsh more suited?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    How did you manage to do that? It'd be best to find out what was on there first before trying to refinish it. If it was just a coat of oil on wood it may need to be replenished which is easy enough to do.

I'm not too familiar with the Ergodyne and too lazy to look. What's the fingerboard made from? Is it a fretless?

Epoxy is not the way to go at first. It's doubtful that you could have removed an epoxy coating easily.

3. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    UM....... I don't find "varnish" on my Ergos........ I suspect you've done something with the oil finish...... but I've got 2 sitting over..well, over there, and there ain't no varnish on the fretboards.
    DON'T go throwing something on them.... you'll guaranteed not be doing yourself a favor. I don't know what the original oil finish is..... and it's rather a well guarded secret, it seems...... but I bet there's luthiers on here that can tell you what rosewood loves....