eerie melodic?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by backtoschool, Jan 15, 2001.

1. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm looking for an incredibly eerie yet melodic CD and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions (any at all) I'm lookin to see if you guys know of any I haven't heard of so please, expand my horizons.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well, eerie and melodic is somewhat in the ear of the beholder, but I'd try Kid A by Radiohead.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Pet Sounds, by the Beach Boys. More melodic than eerie, depends on how eerie you want.

Smiley Smile, also by the BBs. More eerie than melodic, depends on how melodic you want.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Try Psychotic Waltz- A Social Grace, or Into the Everflow.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Interpretation of "eerie" is so subjective, so take this response from me as interpreting "eerie" as "mysterious" and not "gloomy."

There is a Blue Cheer CD which has "Fruit n' Icebergs" and "Peace of Mind" which are guitar/bass/drums based songs that eerie and melodic and feature an unsung guitarist named Randy Holden doing some burning guitar soloing (not speedy). If someone tells you B Cheer is just over amplified crap, this is really different and has some different/more musicians than the original band, "the overamplified crap."

Lou Reed can be real creepy and melodic.

"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" by Tchaikovsky always gave me the willies but it's beautiful.

Old Pink Floyd, early Alice Cooper ("Pretties For You," "Easy Action" albums), and lots of old trip music
    had these qualities.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-18-2001 at 12:43 PM]
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks Oysterman! I get that mixed up with Stravinsky's "The Fairies Kiss>" (Too many damn fairies)
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bjork fits that description to a T.

While the fad has apparently passed, most trip-hop acts also fit that description. Try recordings by Portishead, Esthero, Olive, Everything But The Girl etc.

Bill Frisell's recordings can be pretty frightening. Check out "Is That You" and "Quartet". Then there are all the downtown NY standbys: Tom Waits, Laurie Anderson, Leonard Cohen etc. Okay, maybe Waits isn't particularly melodic...

In the realm of eerie and melodic soundtracks, I like Bernard Hermann's "Vertigo", Ornette Coleman's "Naked Lunch" and Vangelis' "Blade Runner".

For more bass-centered stuff, check out "Tutu" or "Siesta" with Miles Davis and Marcus Miller, "Aura" with Miles Davis and a revolving cast of bassists, and anything by Mick Karn or Trey Gunn.

Lastly, Jimmy Scott freaks me out.
  10. "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. The first part is the Exorcist theme, then a bunch of wacky stuff after that.

Put me down for the Beach Boys and Cramps stuff too! :D
  11. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Bauhaus could count as eerie and / or melodic. Try "The Sky's Gone Out" or "Burning From The Inside". Perhaps not always the most shinning example bass-playing, but quite good overall.

I'd also second the Portishead nomination.

12. "Firebird Suite" by Stravinsky. The New York Philharmonic version if you can find it. OOP cd on CBS Records.
  13. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Any "Attrition of Reason" CD.
    Any "The Residents" album. Especially their earlier works.
    I love The Residents, they're very esoteric though, just to warn you. "Hello Skinny" is a classic song. It's definitely "eerie" to the max.
  14. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Another band: "Godspeed You Black Emperor". Fair warning, though... they don't write traditional verse-chorus-verse songs. They write 15-20 minute long pieces, broken into 3-5 parts, played on traditional rock instruments + strings. No vocals save for some samples. Check out for a lot more information. You might find some samples linked off of there; I know there are live mp3s on the web.

15. Metal Machine Music just came out on CD... definitely eerie, but not too melodic. :D
  16. if you want cool music LISTEN TO BLIND MELON!!! and unified theory are very amazing, they're not a very popular band but they have the most amazing sound i have ever heard, completly original!!

17. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hrmmm...anything by cradle of filth...:D