Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effect chain..?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squice, May 9, 2003.

1. whats the difference connecting your effects through the fx/send/return in the back of the amp or just connecting your Bass/Guitar into the effect and the effect in your amp input..?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Your effects loop is an insert point in between your preamp and poweramp. This allows you to patch in effects that would normally cloud up your tone by hitting the preamp too hard. Usually I put all time based effects (delay, reverb, chorus, flange, etc.) in the loop, and all tone shaping effects (synth, distortion, wah, phaser, etc.) before the amp. There are no rules, though, so do what pleases your ear the best.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That sounds so crazy...and it does work! I'm using a rack effect (dbx 120A) Subharmonic sythesizer...I just saw your post and took it out of the loop and put it in line so my signal goes bass>wah>synth>amp...and man, does it ever track better and sound less muddy! Thanks for the tip!

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks, RevGroove, you just made my day. I love hearing that my advice helped you out.

I've got 25 pedals in my bass rig, so I guess I have plenty of experience screwing things up.:D If anybody has any further questions, I'll be in my office.

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    One more "?"...I'm going to try this tonite anyway...but which should come first in your opinion, wah or synth? (I'll let y'all know how it turns out!)

:bassist:

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I usually run my synth first, so I can change the tone of the synth with the wah after it. I find it helps to think of the synth as an instrument- it comes first in the chain (it essentially replaces your bass as a tone generator; your bass becomes a controller at this point), and run your effects after it like normal.

Here's what my setup looks like (most of the time):

Before amp:
    • EH Microsynth (synth)
    • EBS Octabass (octave - bassically a synth)
    • EH Bassballs (env. filter)
    • Lovetone Meatball (env. filter) w/ ZVex Octane (octave fuzz) in Meatball's loop
    • RMC3 Wah
    • ZVex Machine (fuzz - sort of)
    • ZVex Fuzz Probe (a funky fuzz/thermin thingy)
    • Digitech Whammy
    • Lovetone Ringstinger (ringmod)
    • Zvex Ooh-Wha (stepped filter)
    • Zvex Wooly Mammoth (bass fuzz)
    • Lovetone Doppleganger (phaser - these are not time based, so they generally sound better before the amp)

In effects loop:
    • Fulltone ChoralFlange (chorus)
    • Lovetone "?" Flange w/ Boss PS3 (pitchshifter/delay) in "?" loop
    • Lovetone Wobulatore(trem/panner)
    • Zvex Lo-fi Loop Junky x2 (phrase sampler). These run one each to the left and right returns on the loop.

I may have missed some in there, but I think you get the point. I've spent months figuring out the perfect order for these, so hopefully you can get something out of it in less time. Who knows, you might actuall find some time to practice!

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I'll have to play around with it a bit more...the set up tonite was pretty horrible...campground...and the keyboardist decided to be the "superstar" again, so that was kinda distracting...but a good gig otherwise!

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know what I figure out...cheers!

:bassist: