1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect gear of the future

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thinker, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Thinker

Thinker

Aug 26, 2008
    :bassist: How to influence the gear makers design choices

2. Thinker

Thinker

Aug 26, 2008
    You can make a difference to the next generation effect gear. I am a student and I´ll soon be influencing design choices with the help from your inputs. Answer a quick survey at:

http://evasys.notedu.ltu.se/evasys/indexstud.php?
    Password: 123456

3. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    I answered your questionnaire. keep me up to date with your developments!

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I submitted.
    Succes.

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    How? With your homework?

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Done!

7. filled out the survey- but thought id add: put tap tempo on all oscillating effects.

8. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    +1

And I filled it out the survey too.

9. filled ! :)

10. huge +1. Also, as someone currently making electronic music, either a BPM/freq display or midi clock sync would be awesome on any such effect as well.

11. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    filleted ;)

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Effects of the future...

IMHO the path of the future is to have USB links to a PC with well designed patch editor software. And simplify the pedal itself to an on/off switch and a knob or two.

it's tedious and unintuitive to page thru menus in a tiny 1-line window to assign funtions to a limited set of controls. I really prefer 1 knob = 1 function.

That said, the Implementation of the SansAmp Programmable Bass DI is pure genius -so very useable.

13. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Done.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Survey completed, gimme a dollar.

All I want for the future are more and more weirdo pedals. I don't care about computer based stuff or multi-effects but if they continue to sound better and are easy to operate, cool.

15. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    'Thinker' has made two posts, both of which are on this thread, and has nothing in his profile filled out. The survey information has as much chance of influencing the 'next generation' of effects gear as it would you wrote it on a bit of paper, set it on fire and hoped the smoke would enter a designers nostrils.

More interesting, IMHO, would be if the results would be posted here here for discussion... Thinker? Whaddaya say?

16. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Sure, because the most productive inventors and engineers in the world are the ones who spend their whole day arguing about fuzz pedals on an online forum.

17. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Who said anything about arguing? :confused: And what are these 'fuzz pedals' you speak of? :D

If you want to fill out some random person's survey, then go right ahead.... I was thinking it might be interesting to discuss this information here so we can - you know - talk bass (effects).:bassist:

18. I filled out the survey. I've got to say I really think that survey was designed to draw certain answers from who ever was taking it. In other words, it seems like someone wants to add more expression controllers to pedals and they made a survey that would make it look like lots of other people really want that too.

19. submitted. and i feel that this is an appropriate thread to show off a pedal that i would like to see. since one of the questions on there was regarding foot adjustability on a stompbox, i was thinking of a distortion pedal with wah-style adjustment ability. the design is similar to an ibanez weeping demon because thats the closest thing i could come up with. but its pretty much a distortion with a built-in expression pedal so the user can control how much distortion is there without bending over.

foot-controlleddistortionpedal.

20. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Well, now that I realize who you are, I'll share some thoughts. Maybe they'll end up in a pedal some day?

I actually have a number of my own effects designs that I am prototyping right now, so I'm not going to discuss in great detail what I want in effects, because I don't want someone yoinking my ideas. :D But my personal interests these days go in two directions: acoustic/mechanical effects (these are the things I am making) and computer effects.

I would say the ideal effect box of the future (for me) would be a big touch screen computer with knobs that attach to the screen like so. The effects would be based in a modular environment similar to Plogue Bidule or Max, and the user would be able to add/delete controls at whim, modify the ranges of controls, change them from rotary to sliders, split your signal to several parallel paths, create feedback, control parameters with any source you can think of, etc. You could either use a midi controller or simple mechanical switches and expression pedals... and there would be more jacks for switches and expression pedals than the designers would think necessary, because you always need more of those.

Specific effects that I think should come to stompboxes: buffer override, granular synthesis, FFT stuff (how would this be implemented in a traditional stompbox format? I have no idea).

And, for the farther-off future, a pedal that does something like Celemony's unbelievable DNA software. Again, how would this be implemented? Something I would love to have is an effect that could be set to transpose my sound to other temperaments, polyphonically, like just intonation, 13 tone equal, or just arbitrary weirdo scales not playable on our traditionally-fretted instruments (and without the inherent sound of fretless, which I'm not fond of). An expression control as on the Thummer's Dynamic Tonality to bend through various tonalities polyphonically would be pretty neat as well.

So get to work on that stuff, fellas.