1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effect Hunt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sapatown, May 9, 2018.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Okay!

It feels like I don't know what Im doing looking for this bass sound I really want.
    I've been different trough Fuzz, Overdrive and Distortion. Even tried guitar pedals with LS2.

So Im playing in this really nice Stoner Metal band, powertrio on instruments, with a vocalist giving his heart over us. I want to cut trough really well with the bass.

I play a Rickenbacker 4003, Ampeg 810e with a Ampeg PF - 800 Head.
    And this mix is really awesome! Full on sound.
    But Im getting obsessed with pedals and seems to waste money on trying out all sorts of things! :D Im not there yet.

Right now, I found some peace in using the Way Huge Pork & Pickle OD/Fuzz pedal.
    I like both of them.

I wanna try the Darkglass stuff, Alpha Omega is my fav since I tried it next to a B3K in a store.
    Its a bit expensive. And need to try that in band setting.
    The drummer is loud, and the guitar love mids, gets his trebel alittle down, cranks little bass. He describes his sound as "Bitey". To me, it could be in the James Hetfield area.

What are you're experience with the Way Huge Pork & Pickle compared to AO and B3K?
    Or even the B7K?

Sorry a bit messy post.

Cheers!

2. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I've used both the Pork Loin and Swollen Pickle, as well as the Alpha Omicron and B3K. The Darkglass stuff has remained. Kind of a difficult comparison - are you able to stack the Pork and Pickle circuits, or is it one or the other? I've found the Pork Loin compares more to the DG Vintage pedals as opposed to the A/O and B3K. The Pickle is fuzz, setting it apart from the other three. The Pork Loin is a fantastic pedal and if you're happy with that sound but have a hankering for Darkglass, I'd recommend the VMT. Personally, I'd run the Pork & Pickle on the Pork Loin side into either the B3K or AO for different flavors of OD. Or, alternatively, run a B3K or AO into the Pickle side for a sharp overdrive and fuzz. This is all assuming you can't stack circuits on the Pork & Pickle. I personally run B3K -> Alpha Omicron -> several different fuzzes, including the Duality. I play in a power trio as well, and found that among the B3K, AO, and VMT, the AO works best with heavy guitars. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Sapatown likes this.
  3. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thanks!
    I use the Pork & Pickle pedal with both in one. The black pedal.
    And try to get the AO darkglass to blend some good sounds when I get the budget ready.

Some really thrilling sounds going on with these pedals!

4. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    What else do you chain you're fuzz/overdrive with?

Boosters, LS2, octaves?
    Think I got what I want atm, but still wanna get myself a Damnation Audio distortion unit.

And have no clue what to pair with my OD.
    Maby thats enough?

5. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    I us some subtle reverb aswell.

6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I tried the Darkglass stuff and just preferred the Pork & Pickle. But it's not practical to switch back and forth between fuzz and OD on the same pedal. Picked up a Green Rhino to use for OD and the P&P is now set to fuzz. Great sounding pedal and the 100hz control on the GR is great for bass.

IMG_6269_zpstwdljify.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

I'd prefer Way Huge's stuff to anything DarkGlass. Especially for stoner metal.

I mainly use a Dunwich fuzz, though.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Check out the Dunwich Volt Thrower if you get a chance. On no-clipping, it’s my favorite touch sensitive overdrive out there.

Also - the Broughton stuff is incredible. If you want a great overdrive - try the Terraformer. For a great fuzz, the Sunder is a superfuzz type (think Beastie Boys Gratitude and Sabotage); the Bass Box is more germanium yumminess.

Maxfenderbass and Korladis like this.
  9. I would recommend a rat pedal for getting through the mix. Dunwich volt thrower is on my list of things to get. Also check out the annex bass channel by Nunez Amps (not a rat variant). I am currently using the damnation audio mbd-1 and am very pleased with it.

Rumbledore and Korladis like this.
  10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Considering that you play in a stoner metal band and your guitar player's sound is a little on the trebley side, you might want a warm distortion pedal. darkglass and way huge are really good choices for that. the vintage series from darkglass(i.e the vintage microtubes, the vintage deluxe, and the vintage ultra) or the way huge pork and pickle would make excellent choices for playing stoner metal. if you want other suggestions, check out these pedals.

ehx hot wax
    ehx nano bass big muff
    Source audio after shock
    Source audio ofd(if it's still in production that is)
    Idiot box blower box
    Idiot box landphil
    Amptweaker bass tight metal jr.(if you don't mind loud pedals)
    Amptweaker bass tight rock jr.
    mxr bass distortion

Sapatown likes this.
  11. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Someone playing a Rickenbacker 4003 on here and a Ampeg 8x10e with Ampeg PF-800 on top?

As of now Im just using the Pork&Pickle with the fuzz not the OD. I have room for like 4 maby 5 pedals in my board.

What would you recommend to have by its side to get a clearer sound?
    By only using the P&P, it gets somewhat muddy or not satisfying enough.
    Maby Im wierd.
    Looking into buying a Darkglass B3K and mix in its OD with the fuzz.
    Or a Damnation Audio MBD1.

Is it some kind of alternative pedal that can do something good with the distorted sounds? Like a LS2? Or POG EQ?
    What do you usually stack with distortion/fuzz?

Maby a DOD preamp 250?
    Or a Distortion DS-1?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. Korladis

Dunwich ODB maybe?

13. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I prefer the P&P as a fuzz. That's why I decided to try one of the Way Huge OD pedals. The Pork Loin is highly regarded among bass players. I opted for the Green Rhino MKIV do to the additional EQ contols. Both can be found on the used market.

Sapatown likes this.
  14. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Ok.
    So after a while my plan is set.
    I think I will go for having it like this:
    Tuner -> Pork&Pickle -> Boss OD (Green Rhino or Pork Loin) -> Sansamp Tech 21.

A small but solid dirt bass for this sludgy/stoner powertrio.

Guitarist upgraded with a Orange Thunderverb 200 head. He plays trough a laney 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12.
    He crank some on the treble, and is loud.

I have no problem being on his volume.
    But the P&P alone right now makes my bass sound a bit muddy ish.
    Even if I have the mid at two' o clock on the portaflex.

15. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Actually, I think the fuzz of the Pork&Pickle togheter with the OD from Pork Loin would work wonders with a sansamp tech 21

16. Rumbledore

Rumbledore

Jun 2, 2018
    Nice. Don't be shy to mix-up order of signal chain at any given time or place. The reason I mention this is because there is no right way. The way I might approach your situation is to; give the pedals the best signal from the very beginning out of your bass... which (to me), would be to take away the tuner -> then sculpt your eq with the sans (or other nice preamp) -> send that into an overdrive (which will then be an extra gain boost) for -> (lastly) your fuzz. Because of the order I just suggested, some might argue that fuzz needs to be the first effect that your bass plugs into. The reason in that case is because some fuzzy pedals react more pleasingly, with more dynamics, when in direct interaction with your pickup(s) as opposed to getting its signal from whatever pedal is in front of it. Over the years studying this stuff, one of the most requested topics I hear about is pedal order, especially when using a wah and fuzz together with a passive bass.

Sapatown likes this.
  17. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thanks so much for great tips!
    Appreciated.

Gonna be fun to try them out togheter.

Cheers!

18. Korladis

Your guitarist got a 200 watt head? Why? What was he using before? And what amp/cab are you using?

19. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    He used a Laney IRT60.
    We play intense stuff.
    Wanted an orange, and the thunderverb was bought used from another band with an offer he could not refuse.

I play a Ric trough Ampeg 810e cab with a Ampeg PF800w.

Korladis likes this.