1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effect in "Can't Stop"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jul 13, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    In RHCP's new one, Can't Stop(I'm hoping you kids with the new CD can help me out here) what effect does Flea use during the guitar solo? It sounds like some kind of echo or reverb, but I'm not sure at all... It seems to make the bass resonate better. Any ideas?

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I was wondering myself, but it's one of 3 things:

-A subharmoniser (dbx?)
    -An octaver
    -Bass boost on bass/amp/rec. signal processing

I'm not sure which, but you'll get close with them...

3. the distorted part is a BOSS ODB3, it's the same sound on "around the world"

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    so how does Flea set up his BOSS ODB3?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm sure he has about 15 roadies to do that for him! ;)

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    in the newest bass player (ya know, the one with FLEA ON THE COVER!) he says that he didn't use the boss pedal. he just plugged into an overdriven marshall (guitar?) amp for that part.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Overdriven? Are you certain we're talking about the same part, it sounds quite clean to me. It's during the guitar solo right after the kinda dub-reggae sounding part.

8. That's just his fingers.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, just telling ya what i heard. (can't go get the mag and quote it, as it's 11 PM and it would irritate my parents).

when i listened to the song a while ago, i never noticed any fuzz sound, either. well, i'll have to just wait till tomorrow (but i don't wanna wait, for the night to be over-er, i want to know right now, could it be...)

sorry for that.

:( :oops:

:D

10. I've had no probs making the song sound good. I've just used my hands....sorry...

BTW, I have a ODB-3, a SYB-3, a CEB-3. I didn't even come close to using them.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoops!

reread that part. he plugs into a marshall for "don't forget me" and not "can't stop."

he also said that he didn't even use any effects for the recording.

12. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Thanks guys, I was playing today and I think i got the sound. I cranked the bass and cut the treble, and I think I did a pretty good impression. Thanks for the help though!