Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

effect in Sir Psycho Sexy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Drei, May 20, 2004.

1. Drei

Drei

May 11, 2004
    Does anyone know what effect flea uses in Sir Psycho Sexy (second to last track on blood sugar sex magik)?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like some sort of synth /synth wah.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    This gets discussed a lot on here. I think the overall thought was it was a dying moogerfooger. He uses an EHX Q-tron now when they play the song live

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i believe he uses a phase shifter during parts of it, like towards the beginning when the vocals go to "sir psycho sexy, that is me..."

jdkh

5. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I am not sure but,could be some super phaser mixed with some envelope filter and some dry bass

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Vintage mutron with the battery dying

AJ

7. And I thought that it was a BassBalls....hmmm.

10cc likes this.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the last part is important to bear in mind - you can clearly hear the unaffected bass tone as well as the effect, almost like two bass tracks - this means you don't lose any of the bottom end and makes sure it retains the funk!! ;)

You can hear how the effect sucks out all the bottom end, but it doesn't matter in this case as you have the dry track as well.

9. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
  10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Up in the top right hand corner there's a search function. It comes in very handy from time time, particularly if you want to see if anyone has discussed a topic before. ;)

This question has just moved into second place on this page behind - whats a good compressor for x amount of money?

11. really I am almost sure it is a bassballs. He admits to using one and I have it.. it really really sounds almost identical with my stingray. So close.

10cc likes this.
  12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ITS A QTRON PEOPLE. QTRON.

There was a recent article about Flea's rig over at bassplayer mag's site. It's a Qtron.

:scowl: :rollno: :scowl:

coffee hasn't kicked in yet.....

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Listen to the man, dammit!

In an old interview Flea explained that the squelchy line was done with a vintage mutron. He then changed the battery because it was acting weird and distorting and did another take and it didn't sound as good. The run-down-battery-mutron line is in parallel with the same signal recorded clean (to keep the bottom and definition).

It's not a phaser (despite claims in the official transcription). It's not a Q-Tron (they didn't exist in 1991 when the album was recorded). I'm sure live he now uses a Q-Tron for this line.

Search the other thread which all say the same thing!

Alex

tightbidness likes this.
  14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Which also didn't exist in 1991!

Alex

15. It sounds exactly like a bassballs.
    I have one and it sounds exactly the same.
    So it is a Bassballs!

16. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Sorry Larrytron, but this has come up many, many times, and by now, just about everyone's pretty much agreed that it was recorded with a Mutron III.

If you can get the exact tone out a Bassballs, that's great, but that doesn't mean that Flea used one.

17. rDuM

rDuM

May 6, 2004
    on fleas dvd - spontaneous adventures in jamming and techniques

he says he uses a DOD envelope filter and does a jam with one...dunno if this is what he uses on that track though

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

People, people, we are missing an important point. Alex is right, so stop making stuff up.

:rollno:

19. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I heard he trained gerbils to burp at the right pitches, then played them like a glockenspiel to double his bass part....

:D