1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

effect in Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderx55, Apr 24, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey guys, what's the effect the bassist for the Flaming Lips uses in "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" Pts 1 &2 (tracks 3 and 4 of the album of same name)? Is it an envelope follower of some sort like the bassballs?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. it's a synth most likely, the lips rarely use real bass.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

While they use synth alot, they do actually have a real bassist, and these songs have the feel and timbre of an electric bass (to my ears at least).

He was in BP when yoshimi first came out and interviewed in part of the giant article RS did about their live show.

4. I just saw them on Austin City Limits. The bass player was playing some sort of synth half of the time.

5. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    the new flaming lips single (the yeah yeah yeah song) is really great, cant get enough of it at the moment, that track definately has a bass player on it

6. I was asking about this just last week, I didn't get any answers, though.

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Again, I'm under the impression that it's not electric bass but a synth of some sort. Heck, it could even be a midi keyboard controlling some kind of software?

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    whatever it is, it sounds pretty dang cool:D

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    my guess is its the bass player using some sort of midi pickup.

or lots and lots and lots of effects :D

it actually almost sounds like the Saturator in ableton live. awesome distortion plug in!

10. there's a forum over at the lips' website that kliph (the live drummer) checks out occasionally. maybe not right now, because i think they're still on tour, but once they're home, he can probably tell you exactly how that sound is made...

11. good point, i think the drummer is the one that plays a lot of the synths and stuff in hte studio so he might know whats shakin :) i'd also love to know

12. Anything on this?

13. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    if you watch their fearless freaks dvd, they definately have a bass player

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yes. They have a bass player. He was playing a fender, and had a huge myriad of effects on the floor PLUS himself, the guitarist, and the keyboard player had multiple keyboards that they were playing through too. I can't tell you exactly what he had on the stage. He had so many pedals on the floor it looked like he had dropped a giant bag of skittles.

This was the set up I saw when I saw them with Beck. They played a set of their own material, mostly Yoshimi stuff, and then they played behind Beck. They played all of his material. It was frickin' brilliant. I had a couple of albums including Yoshimi at that time, but never saw them live. I didn't realize how talented they were. Anyway, hope this helps.