Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effect Loop noise/distorsion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [SD], Sep 18, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    Hi, i just tried my amps effect loop and i've noticed that when i play anything with the effect pedal (digitech bp200) there is tons of noise, the light on the gain signals really low input (more than normal) and there is noise/distorsion coming out even if i turn up the pedal volumen to give more gain to the signal on the effect loop it keeps going wrong. I have no clue what is going on. I've tried tones of cables. My equipment if the following:

bass--->amp input--->send-->digitech IN-->digitech OUT===>return Left & Return Right jacks in effect loop.

My Amp is a warwick protube IV it's new. the effect send is stereo and the return is two mono jack's (left & right). I'm using a Y cable to connect the digitech out to the return in the amp.

Also i'm getting really low signal input on the amp, my bass is passive a have the stock MEC Dynamic Correction pups and i have to turn up the gain a LOT! so do u think maybe the Sansamp Bass Driver is a good idea to boost the signal?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most pedals do not work well in the effects loop, due to impedance differences and level differences. There are a few exceptions, of course.

Generally speaking, stompboxes should be placed between the bass and the amp. Rack mount effects should be used in the effects loop.

This might be better in the Effects forum.