Effect Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by and_Justice, Sep 3, 2002.

1. and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    I've been playing for a couple years and have really started to be concerned with tone and what not.

Anyways, i was wondering about the basics. What is pretty standard equipment, what should i be using? Im talking about everything from compressors to . . . i dunno.

Any advice, referals and/or info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx guys.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    As far as really basic processing equipment, compressors are a good place to start. I prefer rack units (like those made by Alesis or ART or whoever) over stomp boxes for compression. Other than that you may also want to consider something like the Sadowsky outboard preamp to shape your tone. These things are two elements that I have used to subtly flesh out a really good bass tone with my rig. Beyond that it gets much more personal in relating to the sound that you are going for...
  3. exactly.. the sound that i adore, you might discust..

every question has the what and how questions :)

- What do you wish to accomplish ?
    - What do you want to do to accomplish it ?

- How do you think you are going to accomplish it ?
    - How much money are you willing to spend on it ?
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Before you learn to use anything, learn to use EQ. A good understanding of EQ will get you to a better sound than any other effect. No matter what you do or add later on, you will always benefit from a good EQ and the ability to use it well. I suggest a good (semi-) parametric such as the Raven Labs True Blue EQ.