effect of cold/heat on a Plywood bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, Jan 23, 2003.

1. It has been pretty cold around New England for the last couple of weeks. Keep the heat low in the day and turn it up at night.

Haven't had the time to play the DB for about 3 nights, get home tonight and the thing is buzzing like crazy. I had to turn the adjusters on my bridge up about 8 turns to stop the buzz. About 1/8 of an inch, alot higher than usual. A lot more threads sticking out than I usually see.

Is this normal?
    I didn't think this happened to plywood DBs.
  2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I wouldn't worry GP. Sure plys shrink but they don't crack. It's a great time to be a plywood owner.
  3. Thanks for the input JB.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    okay, (I'm inferring from your post) so you raised the string heights because they were to close to the board (causing the buzzing)? neck projection does raise up during the winter, resulting in lower string heights. plywoods are less susceptible than carveds, but it still happens. No Big Deal.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I had the top pop off my bass one time, but due to the type of glue used, the wood did not split, nor was there any major damage. Fixed and good as new quickly. But I thought that was more due to humidity than temp. change.
  6. An eighth inch (at end of f/b?) is an awful lot. Eight turns of the adjusters? To me, that sounds like a lot more than just the top contracting and sinking. Check your neck joint.
    As a comparison, I pulled my Kay out from the back of a cold van after 16 hours of driving through near zero temperatures and the gut strings weren't even a quarter tone out of tune and there was no noticeable difference in their height. This is a good thing because I don't have adjusters on this bass (haven't needed them, so far).
    Check the neck joint, it could've shifted.
  7. Thanks for all the input.
    Did seem like a lot of adjusting to me but the bass is only about 1.5 years old, maybe to close to the radiator. about 4 feet.

Seems to play fine, I just worry that the adjusters are to high. Bridge doesn't seem to be shifting or anything. Probally a case of parinoia.

Thanks Again.