1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effect of strings on average player

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fro0d, May 14, 2006.

1. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    I am fairly new, and a fairly average bass player.

I am still with the original bass guitar strings (5 months in). My question is: What effect do new strings REALLY have on the sound? Is it subtle? Is it up front?

I am using the strings that an ibanez 4 string bass guitar comes with, and plan on switching to http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Accessories?sku=100852

How much of an effect will that string change have specifically?

2. The main difference you will notice is a lot more treble. Your strings are very old by my standards, and I personally wouldn't leave on store strings after I bought an instrument. I like to have an aggressive tone, and I bet your bass sounds like mud with 5-month -old strings.

The difference in sound between old and new strings will likely not be subtle. I can't guarantee that you will like it, but it will certainly be different. New strings also offer improved intonation. They may feel different to play on, and they will not smell. You may not really notice, but old strings have lots of gunk (mostly dead skin and sweat) accumulated in them, and I think it starts to smell after a while.

Enjoy your strings! I hope I helped.

3. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    Thanks bud! you did!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Strings have huge impact on your playing. Not only in just the sound, but also the feel. I've found that new strings often just feel better, and really give new life to the instrument. If you've ever gotten tired of your bass or your tone, the easiest and most cost effective way to mix things up is to try a new and different set of strings!

How often you end up changing them is up to you and depends on how much you play, your body chemistry (some people can make a set go dead in a week! :eek: ), and your personal preference.

5. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    Does anyone know how the Flea strings play?

6. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm pretty sure they're just a custom guage of GHS boomers, which are pretty run-of-the-mill... nothing special, and a lot of people detest them. I've never tried them, but I'm not planning to, just because of the large variety of strings out there.

7. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I had them on an ibanez before, and while they sounded amazing for dirty funk-style slap (a la graham, bootsy, flea), they sounded really muddy in the bass and low mid-range, and recessed in the high mids, so basically if I wasn't playing all by myself, and I wasn't slapping, my tone was lost in the mix. I could never hear a single note i played during band practices. For that reason I wouldn't recommend them.

There are lots of other strings that are great for all kinds of music, flea-style funk included. DR strings come to mind.

8. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    he has his own signature set of Boomers. I heard that they have a triangular core for a better slapping and popping sound. Personnaly i like te sound of "dead" roundwounds. I loved the feel on GHS boomers. Im playing Ernie balls hybird 45-105 right now.

The gauge will also change depending on what you play. If you play with more drop tunnings youmight want a thicker E string. If you play a lot of slap(i do) then you might want a thinner G string. Then if you like a smooth feel you can get flatwounds. It all depends on taste.

Don't be dissapointed with the strings you get if the sound horrible at first(i hate the sound of new strings) give a couple of months before you decide if you like the string. I reccomend GHS boomers for rock. have fun:bassist: