Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effect on Pink Floyd's "Sorrow" live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 15, 2005.

1. On Pink Floyd's live Pulse CD, is Guy Pratt using an octave pedal on the main part of "Sorrow"? The sound is wicked fat! It is an awesome bass line as well. A lot of fun to play along with. If anyone knows for sure, let me know!

Thanks

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    is it an octave pedal? or its just exelently eq`d and compressed plus, exlent gear and exelente playing?

3. Yep -sounds like a sub harmonic effect to me.

Maybe with just a touch of Chorus?

I dunno - just thinking aloud.

:meh: :meh:

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    what bass is he actually using? i remember he usead a couple of basses in the whole ocncert, but in that song seemd to be a ken smith-like bass, at least in the looks, am i right?

5. I haven't seen a DVD or anything, just the CD so I'm not sure what it is. The more I listen to it, it certainly seems like an octave pedal. Pink Floyd usually isn't my thing, but that bass line is great!

6. It definitely sounds like an octave pedal.

7. vega

vega

May 31, 2005
    Are we discussing the intro or the bassline in general?
    The intro has to be synth or keyboards of some sort, though Guy is playing bass in the intro as well - can be seen on the video.
    The rest of the song is just Guy playing with a pick with some great gear, EQ and skills, if I'm not mistaken :D

Guy's gear on the pulse tour:
    1951 Fender Precision Bass, 1963 Fender Jazz bass, Spector NS2, Status five-string fretted and fretless basses, Trace Elliot MPII computerised preamp, JBL UREI power amps, Hartke 4 x 10-inch cabinets, Yamaha SPX-90 & SPX-990 multi-FX, Boss SCC-700 control unit