1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect order advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smeet, Nov 5, 2013.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So I just got a Diamond Compressor and a Source Audio eq. I plan to have both of these be always-on pedals. Where should these go in my chain?

Currently:
    Wooly Mammoth Clone -> B7K -> volume pedal -> Orbital -> Memory Lane Jr.
    So basically, dirt -> volume -> modulation -> delay.

I was thinking I would put the new pedals at the end, so maybe:
    Dirt -> Volume -> Modulation -> Delay -> EQ -> Compressor

Or maybe put the volume at the end:
    Dirt -> Modulation -> Delay -> EQ -> Compressor -> Volume

Any suggestions are appreciated...

2. only thing that matters if it sounds like what you want to hear.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I like placing my compressor at the very beginning and my EQ right after.

4. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will say one thing: I read bongomania's article on effects order, http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/chain.shtml. After reading this I got a loop switcher. The diry stuff is in one loop and the comp in the other. This way I can switch between comp and dirt. As the article points out, using both together has its drawbacks. Switching with one stomp is sop much easier. This has really worked out for me.

6. I think a lot of people put compression before their tone-shaping earlier in the signal chain but that doesn't mean you or anyone else HAS to. I would personally just try it out, you might find something unique and cool that you like.

I go tuner>envelope filter(s)>Compression>pitch shifting (if any)overdrive>synth bass>modulation>delay>reverb>looper

7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Alls I can say is how I would try it... the first try anyway...

Compressor, Fuzz, Modulation, OD, Delay, EQ, Volume...

Thinkin': Compressor to give you the level and sustain throughout, I like dirt before and after modulation for variety, time effects (delay) last, use the EQ to contour the final product, and volume last so you can swell with whatever effects you want pushed... and if that doesn't tickle ya, then try sitting on top of your cab.

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions all.

I was thinking the compressor would go at the end because I want it mostly for the tone enhancement it gives, not for actually limiting my dynamic range. But I'll try it in various locations.

Obviously I should have just tried it and settled on what I like best. But for some reason, I really hate switching pedals around to find the best order. I like hearing the differences, but the act of switching them around seems like a real hassle to me. I know, first world problems.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I personally prefer compression before distortion/fuzz.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

One thing to keep in mind is if you put the comp after the delay, it will affect how the delay behaves. Think about it: your delay is repeating, and each of those repeats is getting quieter. Your comp is "hearing" that and reacting.

I agree with warwick.hoy, and believe in putting the dirt after the comp, because I find the comp "tames down" the dirt otherwise. I have also read the ovnilab article cited by BFunk, but personally I don't have any trouble with the comp and dirt together, so long as the comp is first.

11. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    I put my Diamond first...helps send every other a nice clean/fat/strong signal. Helps my Octave pedal track better too.

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Another thought: many dirt pedals will react differently depending on how much signal you hit them with, getting dirtier as the input increases. By putting the volume pedal before your dirt, you can have a signal that gets dirtier the more you push the volume pedal. By putting the volume pedal later, you can have a signal that maintains the same amount of dirt regardless of the position of the volume pedal.

13. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    If you use your EQ to boost, put it after the comp; if you use EQ to cut, put it before the comp. That's given me the best results, at least.