1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect pedal for a growling/crunchy funk tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stoob, Sep 10, 2008.

1. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    Would anyone have a suggestion for an effects pedal that would increase the growling tone of my Warwick?

I know amps and technique have a lot to do with it but can a pedal help with the crunchy tone I'm looking for?

Cheers

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You mean like overdrive?

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    od or just turn the pregain up.

you might be looking for natural amp grind rather than a pedal.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, look to the following first:

- EQ (try boosting mids, and/or cutting bass, possibly treble)
    - Strings (some strings are growlier than others)
    - Technique (play near the bridge!)
    - Onboard preamp controls (i.e., pickup selectors, pickup volumes, etc. - try making the bridge pickup louder than the neck pickup)

Nevermind the pedal approach for now! IMO, trying to "fix" this particular problem with an effects pedal will likely be a waste of your time and money.

BTW, telling us what gear you're using (bass, amp, strings, etc.) would really help us out in helping you... your profile's blank. :meh:

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If you decide to go the pedal route, you're basically looking for something to provide some tubey grit, assuming your definition of a "growling" funk tone is the same as mine.

The Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI or VT Bass would be good choices.

A more expensive option, but my favorite is to use a BJF Blueberry dialed back a bit for that tone.

Good luck.