effect pedal quality vs price

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Dec 28, 2005.

1. certainly numerous decisions go into choosing an effect pedal for most bassists. Either you're looking for a certain sound, uniqueness, dependable quality, decent price, versatility, etc....

Looking through the dozens upon dozens of threads comparing pedals, some TB'ers will get an effect where the price matters little. Others (including myself) would cringe at paying over $125.00 for something.

What pedals are out there (od's, distortions, auto wah's, flangers, etc...) that someone would put up against the boutique pedals. Pedals that may not be as great but for bang for the buck is great quality, good price, & sounds very useable.

In other words, spending $300 on a pedal that can produce the EXACT sounds you desire is money well spent. But, can I spend $100 on a pedal that would get me a lot of useful sounds and be really cool.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Since sound is so subjective, you won't always find what you want in the most expensive units. I use $40 and $400 units together.

Now if we talk quality (as in bypass, connectors, switches, boxes, hum...), you get what you pay for.

3. already have it :bassist:
  4. pukeboy66

Oct 23, 2005
    what does a big muff do?
  5. As far as build quality goes, I can say this about Boss Pedals in general...

...You can drop them off a 20 story building in the morning and take them to a gig that night.
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah boss pedals are up there as the one of the most if not the most robust pedals around, but you might find the bypass sucks tone or the effects just generally aren't to your liking.

I'm quite a fan of the Danelecto mini series they are mega cheap and sound excellent, but end of the day, they are mainly plastic, crap bypass and easily break.

I find the best way to look at as I have a bass worth alot I have a bass amp worth alot I spend alot in high quality cables and such, why on earth would I then want to plug all this into the cheapest effect around :D

It's all subjective like Jazz Ad says if the only pedal that does what you "NEED" and its expensive you pay what you have to for it, same as if you buy a 5 string because you need to play lots on the low b you don't just pick up the cheapest one around, you play some find what sounds best for you, and which has the best build quality.

Hope this helps
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I run $20 junky boxes of Godliness next to really expensive ones and homebrews. It's already been said that tone is subjective. I may love the sounds I get out of a $20 box and hate the $200 "equivalent" or vice versa. Price doesn't necessarilly mean good, and what's good for one person ain't good for another.
  8. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    As Tplyons says- it's really subjective. Personally I'm a fan of most of the EHX pedals. The small stone phaser is awesome imo. I also really like most of the boss effects. That being said- they do need some sort of looper before hand though. The bypass on the boss's are fairly terrible. But some pedals are worth bust'n out the "big dough" for. I would easily pay for a deep impact if I had the money, or a mutron. But since i don't have that sort of cash, I may have to settle on a Discumbobulator (pending my trying one out). If you're looking in the 125$ category, look for used pedals, and you'll find some good deals. Best of luck