1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect pedals that were just too "out there" but you still kind of want them?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbassist4, Jan 8, 2018.

1. I have a kind of specific request. What are some effects pedals you've tried and just decided they were way too "out there" to justify the purchase, but not buying them still nags at you while you're trying to sleep years later? I've got a laundry list of weird sounds in my head from pedals I've tried at pawn shops and used gear stores that I just couldn't see myself using, but years later I wish I had dropped the $40 and just had it lying around for that one recording or just because they were incredibly fun.

I have my gigging bass rig nicely figured out, but what I'm really looking for are effects to use while I'm producing or composing. I have a legion of elite plugins (all hail the money pit) that all sound amazing, but the problem is they sound exactly the way you'd expect. Great when you're trying to meet a deadline and you know exactly what you want, not so great when you're trying to find a source of inspiration or creativity. I'm not a big analog gearhead when it comes to producing, but there are some effects pedals that software just can't do or hasn't done, and that's what I'm after.

Specifically I'm looking for:
    - Unique Overdrive/Distortion, Saturation, Bitcrushers, etc?
    - Reverbs/Delays with character, some off the wall features perhaps?
    - Auto Wah's that do things you can't explain?
    - Pedals that go bump in the night or make you feel nauseous?
    - Anything else that does something just...weird?
    - Schematics are welcome, I'm good with an iron and can throw a pedal together no problem.

My only caveat here is no synth pedals please, I'm covered through my software and hardware so I can pull a high quality synth whenever I need to.

Thank you very much for reading, I hope we can dig up some fun things here...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    oZZma and five7 like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    EHX Bassballs kind of does this for me. Want to love it but far too over-the-top, I found it difficult to get a usable subtle sound out of it.

Microbass, Bigbri, leonard and 2 others like this.
  3. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    everything made by hologram effects and last gasp

oZZma, Michedelic, geof_ and 3 others like this.
  4. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    How much money do you have? I had the pleasure of messing around with a friend's Digitech Space Station (the Jetpack mod). Very cool, probably not something I could justify paying for or ever taking out of the house.

Also the Digitech Timebender Delay. Has some very cool delay settings, reverse delays, time-messing stuff. I'll get one eventually, just need to find one for a good price in the EU/UK.

DigiTechRep likes this.
  5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Misty Cave

mobdirt likes this.
  6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Pigtronix Mothership, and Source Audio Bass Multidrive Pro are the two that immediately come to mind. THey were both super interesting but try as I might, I just can't figure a way to fit them into anythign that I do.

Peter Brendler and Low84 like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Fairfield Circuitry - Randy’s Revenge

5F36BB3A-76CC-4643-9EE3-C99E802E8597.

Montreal Assembly - Count to Five

C0B7BB9F-9F9C-442F-9C17-8E18D24750E8.

Malekko - Sneak Attack.

D76EB3D8-03DE-428F-85F6-1A9BE8149121.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

And of course the ever popular Miku Stomp. Arguably one of the most utterly useless (but still oddly desirable) weirdass devices to ever come out of that corporate techno-madhouse known as Korg. You could score one for $99 when they first came out. They’re now going for double that. Bound to be the ultimate collector’s pedal someday.

A3021896-4EC8-4428-BA0B-E2E0C513E060.

I’ll man up. I want one. :bag:

9. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    EHX Tubezipper. Where Bootsy meets Lemmy :) It has these nice Q & resonance controls that hit the overdrive in weird ways.

Swimming Bird likes this.
  10. Yessssss gooooood. I step away for 30 minutes and I've already got a ton of research to do. Keep 'em comin'!

My plan is to grab maybe 2 or 3 to start that really intrigue me and go from there.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  11. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Me too! In fact, all four of the pedals you posted are on my list as well.

40Hz likes this.
  12. When I compose/produce I write either film score style orchestral music or straight EDM. Miss Hatsune and friends are already part of my software library but that pedal could probably do some really whacked out things. From my experience using Vocaloid software I've learned it takes a lot of fine tuning to get it right, so just shoving your bass down the signal chain into a Vocaloid pedal should be an interesting experience to say the least. :laugh:

40Hz, Zero Cash and superheavyfunk like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You bet!

Even getting something as relatively forgiving as a vocoder or ring mod to weave into a piece of music is a cakewalk compared to vocaloid effects. And you’d definitely need to compose something specifically for it. But still…what a trip if you can pull it off.

14. CoreyI35

CoreyI35

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm pretty sure this was used in a Chevelle song. Hopefully somebody knows which one I'm talking about.

15. I have far too many of these... nice noise pedals but can’t work them into a band much!

Subdecay noise box - fuzz with envelope and synth tone and oscillations all in one but you can’t control the fuzz much just the other aspects so noisy and weird...

Malekko scrutator - bit crusher

Catalinbread V8 tone fuzz ( great mini pedal that creates fuzz up to noon and then a tone you can pitch from noon to 7 that descends depending where the knob is, but hard to control)

I have more but these first come to mind.

16. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    EHX Ravish Sitar Emulator pedal.

17. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the Devi Ever Eye of God. Got, was underwhelmed, set it aside, and forgot about it. I need to dig it back out and fiddle with it.

theunknowndude likes this.
  18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    EHX Flanger Hoax. Just too big and unwieldy to justify live but is bat guano looney.

dukeorock likes this.
  19. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    The only 'out there' pedal I want is one a guy I know built. It's an envelope filter that also modulates. It's pretty trippy.

20. I have this and another loop pedal.. all I could end up doing was creating a haunting static reverb type drone... sounded cool for a movie background music or something.