1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect/processing on Kool & the Gangs Jungle Boogie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Just wondering what makes the bass players bass sound like that........sure as hell isnt a clean tone.

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I really know nothing about effects.

Very noticeable around the 2:00 mark........

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually through most of the tune the bass is 100% clean- the effected-type sound you're hearing on those breaks is an electric piano or other keyboard doubling the bass line. During the solo at the end it does sound like he's using an envelope filter, but not even an extreme one- like I think a skilled player could make any bass with flats have that voicing on the grace notes, so while I "bet" it's an envelope filter, I wouldn't swear to it.

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Sounds to me like the bass is clean, but the clavinet is being put through wah pedal.

4. So what's going on here then, why am i trying for that tone so hard (b/c it seems all funk players have it) and I got nothing.

My bass/amp (warwick/swr) is so clean you could eat off of it.

Is it the strings then maybe? I use GHS medium gauge roundwounds, are all these players using flats or nickels or something?

I am really getting pissed off at this actually, everyone keeps telling me it's technique issues but there is some piece of gear I am missing, surely, even if it's just that type of string/pickup.

Help?

5. and yes what I heard was the keyboard, you're right, but what is HE using (i.e. what's that sound called?)

thanks in advance

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    HE was using EQ, right-hand technique, compression, and tape saturation; actually technically he may not have been using any of those things, but the recording engineers did. I still think he was playing flats though, probably with high action for extra "bump". So try flats, raising your action, and playing up near the neck. FWIW I can nail that tone with my active Jazz with no effects at all.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In addition to the above, he was using a P bass. That's the P bass sound. Dirty and meaty. Quite honestly, Kool didn't have the cleanest playing technique. Pretty horrible actually!

8. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Those funk players just have that technique. They take an active, boutique, treble crazy bass and turn it into a low end, dub thumping machine. I say its the fat fingers/heavy hands.