Effect suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danimal1973, Nov 12, 2002.

1. danimal1973

Sep 3, 2002
    Just getting into playing the bass again... after many years...

Always played the sound naked (straight into amp)...

Any suggestions on effects to buy.... I'm starting to play in a band.. mostly rock/country/blues sounds...

Also... do you think it's better to just invest in multi-effect pedal... or buy individual pedals?

2. Dunlop 105Q Crybaby and BOSS Overdrive.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

First, I would recommend a good EQ. Some amps have a pretty good eq built in, others need some help. I use a Raven-Labs True Blue EQ. I really love it. It's great for putting the final tweaks on a really good sound. A compressor of some sort is often helpful. It will give you some whomp and/or smooth out some peaks. I use a Retrospec Squeeze Box, which is pretty rare and very cool. These effects are tricky to learn to use but will be immensely useful in any situation. I think you need to get a good handle on these before you can learn to use other effects well. I suggest you find out from a friend or read-up on how to use them.

Other than that a little overdrive is useful. I use a Dredgetone Angler. Other popular overdrives are the SansAmp Bass direct box, (SBDDI I think), and the Fulltone bassdrive. These will give you a sound something like an overdriven Ampeg SVT.

From there it gets more esoteric. There are lots of great effects, many of which you would not traditionally find in country and blues, and only in more modern-style rock. There are filter effects like wah-wah, envelope filters, and auto-wahs. There are modulation effects like chorus and flanger. There are delays effects like, well, delays. For more information on these effects see this link.

As for single versus multiple effects are concerned:

I, and many people on this list, prefer single effects. I can choose the combination of effects that best suite me. High quality individual effects can get very expensive compared to all-in-one boxes. For me, the ability to create my own unique sounds is worth it. Multi-effects are useful, in my opinion, for those more interested in performance as a business. If you are in a GB band and need to cop the bass sound on the latest Britney tune, a good multi-effect, amp-emulator is probably your best bet.