1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effect Tony levin used on Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moobass, May 12, 2006.

1. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    I've always thought that Tony used a fretless or "The Stick" on this track and he may well have done so in the studio. The other day I was watching VH1 Classic Videos and a Peter Gabriel live video came on of “In Your Eyes”. I noticed that Tony was using his 4 string Music Man Stingray, with frets (his main one that he used at the time. I've read this is the bass he was always re-painting for what ever tour he was on at the time).
    The tone he was getting was exactly like the recorded version (which leads me to believe that he used this setup for the recording possibly).
    What kind of effect do you think he was using (make, model?). To my ears it sounds like some sort of envelope filter effect that is set to mimic the sound of a fretless.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hmmmm. I always thought that he played a fretless too. He has a killer sound, and I love his playing. I was running through sounds in my head... chorus...no, maybe......octave...no,maybe....envelope filter, I'm pretty sure not. Man... That's a good question. Sorry, this post is about as helpful to you as a fart in a jar, but I'm definitely curious too.

3. Yvon here on TB is a HUGE Tony Levin fan. Perhaps he can answer your question.

4. On an SNL performance on that song, I remember him using an NS Electric Upright Bass.

5. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    What part of "In Your Eyes?" I know the reggae-ish bit and the end is Tony's "Super Wonder Nappy Sound."
    He was in the studio trying to find something to give him the right spongy/dubby sound he was looking for and he remembered having some of his daughter's diapers in a gigbag. So, diaper under the strings at the bridge! "Super Wonder Nappy Sound."

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Yeah, but he wouldn't have used one in 1986!

7. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Just listening to the Secret World Live album, I think it sounds like an octaver. I could get a very similar sound when I used the sub harmonic thing on my old ashdown amp.

But of course I could be wrong!

Rich

8. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I have that on video somewhere...I'll have to dig it out and see. I know he played some stuff on that concert with bass and a Novation BassStation synth.

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There was a Trace Elliott video on their website several years ago and he was showing the features of the amps and "In Your Eyes" was one of the songs he played. No effects. Just his MusicMan bass and he used the contour knob to cut most of the mids out. Then again, he's Tony Levin and he could get the sound out of a piece of string laying on the ground.

10. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    I've got it too, haven't watched it for a while - actually am sat here listening to the album now. Such a superb bass sound. The show's pretty entertianing too, and Paula Cole isn't exactly hard on the eye either! ;-)

Rich

11. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    TL's 'funk-finger' part at the end of "Secret World?" Mmmmm....tasty :bassist:

12. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    I think awesome (in the true sense of the word) probably sums it up.

Rich

13. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Just watched the "Secret World Live" DVD, and Tony was using his Peach Stingray 5 and plucking close to the end of the neck for "In Your Eyes". The album track sounds pretty similar. When talking about his tone, the words 'Massive Compression' are usually mentioned, so if I had to guess at what he's using effects wise for that track I'd say:

Massive Compression

and maybe, just maybe a little bit of a sub octave blended in.

I'm hoping to see the Tony Levin Band show here in Toronto at the end of the month. If I have a chance to chat with him after, I'll try to remember to ask.

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Also ask if he ever gets mistaken for G. Gordon Liddy! :ninja:

15. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    The video I saw (I've seen this one a few times over the years but it never hit me to see if he was using a fretless) must have been from the "So" tour or there abouts.
    There are only a couple of frames where you can see Tony jamming. He's using his 4 string MM Stingray (Yellow at the time, or what looks like as it could be lighting doing tricks). I believe this to be the bass he talks about constantly repainting for different tours. If it is, I think he left the yellow from the Crimson "Three of a perfect pair" tour and just covered the "McDonalds" symbol with a white pickguard.
    I think you're right about the massive compression and a bit of Octaver. He speaks of using a similar setup on "Sledgehammer" off the album "So" as well.
    I think you could get some of that with a Boss Slow Gear and a bit of EQ'ing on a Stingray. But I'm going to have to look into getting one of those bass Octavers.

16. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC, Larry Klein played bass on In Your Eyes.

17. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    Wow he looks just like Tony in that video!

LOL

:)

18. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
  19. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    So that video is of them in the studio recording the original version? ;)

20. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Maybe someone knows for sure but I thought I'd read somewhere that Larry played that famous line.