effect units plugging order help please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeff sanders, May 3, 2005.

1. hi all, :) i'm new here and to bass guitar. this is my 1st post, i hope its not a dumb question but i bought a sansamp programmable bass driver di to add to my setup. i have a cirrus bass going into a digitech bp200 and then to my amp input. in the sansamp instructions it says some effects belong before the sansamp like wah but some effects like chorus belong after the sansamp. does anyone else use these effects or know if theres any advantages or disadvantages to the plug in order of these 2 effects? thanks for your time. jeff
  2. Hey Jeff! Welcome, welcome.

The general rule of thumb (it's not really a rule, more of a guideline) is that wah goes before distortion which is before modulation (chorus, etc.) which is before delays.

I'm sure the SansAmp is considering itself sort of an overdrive effect, so in the traditional sense, it should go between the wah and chorus. BUT it's also a D.I., which means you could do one of two things: put it before everything so you have the cleanest signal going to a venue PA system, or put it after everything so you have your effects going to the venue PA.

With a multieffect like the BP200, there's really no wrong location for the Sansamp.
  3. i like the sound of stereo effects so ill run the bp200 last. im more a fan of chorus/delay than wah on bass. so i think the sansamp 1st then bp200 is the better setup according to what i understand from your post. thank you so much. i'm actually a drummer but im building a bugdet home recording studio. i bought a peavey cirrus bubinga cause it looked so good and had a richer tone than any other bass on the music stores wall. i have a korg karma workstation i use to sequence. my main instrument is a roland hpd-15 handsonic percussion pad. i relearned to play drums after becoming a quadriplegic. i got nutin but time on my hands so i decideded to find a time killer i could enjoy. the keyboard, guitar and bass are bait to get others to jam with me. :) thanx again for the info. jeff
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    This is from a post at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178529

1.Boss AW3 AutoWah
    I like a wah pedals right after my bass .

2.Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Distortion
    The wah creates its sound by boosting/cutting from a frequency as it sweeps from low freq to high (or vice-versa) . By putting a distortion pedal after the wah you get some cool changes in the distortion effect.

4.MXR M-88 Octave
    Defiantly after the distortion because having two pitches (the root and the octave) could be problematic for the distortion pedal. I’m saying before the limiter because it might produce some level “hiccups” that the limiter can smooth out.

3.Boss LMB Limiter
    A limiter/Compressor after the distortion pedals because;
    1. the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn’t being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal.
    2. there is more sustain.
    3. There is a darker, warm tone. (If you want a brighter tone try putting the limiter before the distortion. )

4.Boss CEB3 Chorus
    A modulation/delay effect should go last.