Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effect used in "Early In The Morning"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey guys. I know pretty much nothing about effects (the only one I've ever owned was a Zoom 506 P.O.S.). I've never really needed them for my music, but I've found a sound that I'd really enjoy having. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what specific bass effect is being used in The Gap Band's "Early in the Morning." It's on the Pure Funk album, so I'm sure most of you have heard it ;) I was assuming it was an overdrive, but any info would be great.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't know exactly what effect was used on the recording, but I'm guessing that it was a keyboard synth anyway.

I used to play Early In The Morning using a Fuzzface pedal. I'm sure most fuzz effects (ones designed for bass should be the best) will get a sound that's pretty close.

IIRC, there's a patch on the Zoom 506 that's pretty close.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bump to a REALLY old thread :D I was thinking about it today and would still really like to cop that sound (which I never did)- any idea on what synth or synth/fuzz combo could get me as close to that tone as possible? Here's a YouTube link for the sound:

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the cover band i play in does a ton of these tunes and i was using a boss bass synth pedal for a while. it tracks weird though if you try to get notey. but that makes you think more like a keyboard player anyway. its a pain to set up different sounds for different songs though and i eventually sold it. i really liked it though.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmm... It's definitely a keyboard in the original. We've had some good threads on synth pedals in the past, and I suspect the Korg G5 might be the one that would get you closest. That said, some fuzzes can get pretty synthy... look into the Chunk Systems Brown Dog for example.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Korg is WAY too big for my little board :D I've been parusing the synth and synth/fuzz threads- still haven't made any final decisions yet. Figured I'd repost the clip as it's very close to what I want. I may do the envelope/fuzz mix to get there. The 00Funk/Brown Dog is a nice-sounding combo in the clips I've heard, but I haven't tried them live.

7. I disagree with Bongo -- there is definitely a bassist there. He's rockin' out in the video at least.

Besides, that sounds like a Bass Micro Synth to me (though the song was #1 in '82, and I don't know the history of the BMS). Though I guess you could get that with a filter + fuzz combo too.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, in all fairness, the bassist isn't plugged in to anything......:D

You can actually buy a 1981 EHX Bass Micro Synth on eBay right now, so they were around, although it's still likely it was a synth player. Doesn't stop me from wanting that sound though :p

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 ...and they also show at least three keyboardists rocking out.

Music videos are just fancy-dress play-acting to represent the music visually. The instruments shown are often just props. I don't doubt that the band had a bassist, and that he was probably a kickass musician; but I don't hear any bass guitar in that particular mix- unless it is the BMS signal 100%. If someone can confirm that it is the BMS for sure, then I will finally get around to buying one myself. :)

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I can confirm it isn't a BMS, if that's any help. Sounds like the bassist is doubling the part on an un-effected bass guitar.

You can't get such clean-sounding stuff out of a BMS. You could get functionally close enough, but if you sit there with the record on tweaking sliders trying to match it exactly you'll just drive yourself nuts. And you'll never be able to find that sound again on stage anyway. ;)

11. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    I've played this song for years. All you need is an octaver and a good fuzz pedal, maybey some delay and technique (legatto). I created a preset on my Boss VF-1 using these effects. I'd use a Boss Heavy Metal pedal (great fuzz pedal) and an Boss OC-2. Hope that helps.