1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effective way of using frettinghand?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can anyone help me? Can anyone recomend how i should use/switch between my fingers on the fretting hand when fretting? is there any "rule" or something? I play rock/metal. Also, is it normal that i hear the strings hit the frets all the time? its kinda annoying, and i get a buzz sound soemtimes, how should i fret exactly?

2. ghorvers

ghorvers

Dec 22, 2005
    Close to the fret, to avoid buzz. Also try to hit each note surely, but not too hard.
    Get a teacher or friend to show you.

Cheers,
    Geert

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok but when fretting, is there any pattern on when to use pinky, index, middle etc? Im kinda unsure when to use what finger.

4. Use one finger per fret, iee one finger for each fret 1-4. Or you can use 124 set up and use the INdex, Middle, and Pinky for frets 12 respectively.

I recomend to learn the first way( one finger per fret) just so is another tool in your toolbox. No patter, just use what ever finger is needed for the corresponding fret.

5. Use the finger that means you have to move your hand least. If your index finger is fretting at the fifth fret and you want to fret a note at the eighth, then it just makes sense to put your pinky down. You also have to take the notes your'e going to play next into account. Sometimes it makes more sense to use a less convenient finger because you want your other fingers to be where they can reach the notes that are coming up.