Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

effects advice needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kboyd, Dec 1, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I have been a purist(no effects) for 15 years of playing bass. I love the sound I get from my rig and
    it sounds fine for slapping and funk, but I need something else. Something to enhance the punch and depth of finger and slap funk. Don't know if I need a filter, a whah, a reverse whah, compressor, what?? And if it is more than one effect, what product has them?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Something to enhance the punch and depth of finger and slap funk.
    ---------------------

Enhanced punch and depth -- I think you should try a BBE sonic maximizer. I really like mine, it's makes the tone thick and deep with one knob and zingy and airy with the other. It's a subtle effect, so it might appeal to your purist side.

A compressor also might be a good idea if you want a more even dynamic level.

If you want something more radical for funk, buy a bass synth, just don't buy the Boss one.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BBE Sonic Maximizer

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Great, 2 votes for the BBE, but, who makes it and is it easy to find... I want to try one out. Thanks

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Absolutely a BBE Sonic Maximizer. I run one on both my bridge and neck pickup rigs, and wouldn't setup a PA without one.

They make several models (362, 462, 862, etc...).

Cruise around eBay as well, you should be able to pickup a good deal for well under $100 bones for one.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Try an envelope filter, they can really add grease to your playing.

Alex