Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects and Song Writing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Jul 13, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

For those of you who write and/or arrainge songs, how much do you use effects as part of the writing process? What are your favorite to use? How do you use them?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sometimes I'll be playing around with some effects and certain things will occur to me, like a chorus type part or some other random piece of music. Then I expand it into a song. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

3. Write the song first, then see where you can apply effect tastefully.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I never sit down to write as such. I record all my practice sessions. Often a sound will inspire a riff and a riff will inspire a song. BTW I rarely use effects on bass but often with guitar.

The pedal for me is a z vex fuzz factory

5. chorus, distortion and delay for me can inspire a different way of playing and new ideas that might not have happened with a flat sound.

delay is probably the most striking difference, but not the most practical for bass in a band context, and usually suits a lead/solo application rather than a supportive part.