1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Cables?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Nov 10, 2006.

1. :cool: OK! I need some new cables for my pedal-board. OK! I'll also admit that they're for my Strat, and not my bass.

George L, Planet Waves, and Core-X all make kits for close to the same price. Anyone have any experience with these brands? How 'bout sharing. Thanks.:bassist:

P.S.: I know, we don't need no stinking Strats around here. But.....:bag:

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been using George L's for years and I like 'em. I haven't tried the others yet.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I use the Planet Waves Cable Station kits and I like them well enough. My only complaint is that the plugs are rather large thus making it difficult to squeeze a lot of pedals in a little space. Other than that, they have been great.

4. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    +1 for the George L's

5. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i just looked at the george l cables. and it looks like they sell them in kits...so does this mean you have to actually cut the cable and then put it togather?

6. i got a create ur ow length patch cable kit the other day too, it was a planet waves, im really happy with it :)

+1 for planet waves

7. yea, but they come with their own cutters, the planet waves kit did anyway

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    so you just stick the cable in there and plug it in...or...

im sorry, ive not very good with the workings of electronics.

9. after u snip the cable length, u stick the cable into the connector and tighten a screw and ur done :)

ill make u a video in the next couple days if ur interested :p

10. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    naw i think i got the idea now. but thanks for the offer

11. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    with the george l's all you have to do is cut the cable to length, put it into the plug and screw the top down

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1 for planet waves. i want to try the george l's in the future, but for curiosity's sake only. planet waves is just fine for me. they've worked beautifully for almost a year now.

13. pretty much the same process for the planet waves, except, its a small screw, and not a top :p

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I won't be caught dead using George L cables again.

Wired up a pedalboard for a buddy, perfectly fine. Then it came time to do my own, got two faulty jacks, I asked for a refund then was charged for the length of cable I cut off. Just from a business point of view, their product failed, and I shouldn't be penalized for that.

I'll stick with handmade soldered connectors anyday. Bayoucables.com for me.

15. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've heard that the solderless cables come undone from time to time; true?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If not periodically checked to make sure they're tight, any screw will eventually work it's way loose, so yes.

17. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    hasn't happened to me yet

18. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to tplyons. Also, if you handle them a lot they are more likely to loosen. When I monkey around with the arrangement of my pedalboard, invariably I have to finger-tighten one or two of the plugs. But they're fine if you set everything up and don't fuss with it.

19. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    would locktight be safe to use, and im pretty sure they wont budge after that

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're going to make them that close to permanent, I'd just go with soldered cables, but that's me.

Loctite is nothing but a pain in the arse, IMO. It's a great idea, but every time I've felt a need to use it, I later felt a need to undo it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021