effects chain for my rack?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Jan 11, 2003.

1. hello,

i am wondering in what order i should set my rack up from my gk 1001rb head. i have the following rack items:

dbx 266xl compressor
    behringer peq equalizer
    aphex 104 c2 w/ big bottom
    bbe 362

the prom lies in ever since i added the aphex 104 to my rack, i have been getting a weird, "fluffy", distortion sound from it (the sound increases when i turn the overhang/drive settings or any other setting up). i am wondering what might be causing all of this, or if i need to connect it in a different order. the order i have my rack now is as follows:
    from "send" on the 1001rb
    aphex 104
    behringer peq
    dbx 266xl
    then to the "return" port on the effects path bay.

i didnt add the bbe 362 to this because i dont want to until i get the aphex 104 working again. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Of course it's all about your own taste, but I think that's way too much junk to get a nice sound.
    The BBE is only useful for weak instruments.
    Voicing filters on your head will do the same job as a compressor, and your EQ is not the best on earth.
    Plus the 4 band EQ on the GK offers a lot of versatility.
    Dunno about the big bottom, but it seems to bring problems, too.

I think you should try to go direct into your head for a week or so. You'd probably be pleansantly surprised. Just my 0.02 €.
  3. already tried that. and i like the way everything sounds, i am just wondering if i have it hooked up the correct way, or how i can solve my "distortion" problem.
  4. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    the prob may come from have the comp last in the chain. The aphex is giving you loads more top and bottom harmonics, and the eq is giving frequency boosts. the comp is then squishing all of these boosts out, resulting in not a nice sound.

I personally would run the compressor front end, between bass and amp. then you'll get a good, even, hot signal, and you can optimise your amp gain/input contol.
    Use the amp eq for the main tone shaping. Run the behringer in the loop, so it's sits post preamp, use this for any sebsequent shaping.
    The BBE and Aphex do essentially the same thing, but the aphex is designed more with bass in mind. So you can ditch the BBE really.
    Run the Aphex last in the loop. Enhancers/exciters are supossed to enhance what is already there, so running it first in the chain is a big no-no. The trick with enhancers is get the sound you want before you turn it on. Gradully dial it in unitl it makes you orgasm, then back it off a tad. Subtelty is the key with fx. You shouldn't notice the enhancer is there until you turn it off.

Hope this helps
  5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree with GA_Ed.You need to hit the compressor first.Either between your bass and amp or at line level in the effects loop.Then your EQ and Aphex or BBE depending on which one you like better.
  6. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    My own opinion, but the only time I like GK heads is when I use two cabinets and Bi-amp. Not enough lows running full range, I suppose that is what you are trying to accomplish. An idea, if you re-wire your 6x10 so that you have the lows going to 4 tens and then 2 tens to the highs that could be interesting. I am not sure about impedance matching though.