1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Design

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rumblecat, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rumblecat

rumblecat

Dec 7, 2009
    Winterpeg
    Electronics Designer by day (and sometimes night), Bass enthusiast when time permits - hmmm, maybe there's a fit somewhere ...

I've been hunting around for information on the different types of effects with thoughts of combining a few that I would use into a single module. I'm not looking to combine clones of existing designs, moreso to get an understanding of the electronics behind some basic effects to build and tweak to my own preferences.

Has anyone gone down the same path and come across some decent reference information (texts, websites, etc.)?

2. I figure having a tremolo with a light modulation on it would be quite interesting. have the modulation be tweakable, btw

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Tremolo is a type of modulation. Do you mean pitch modulation on top of the tremolo?

To the OP, check out diystompboxes, geofex, ilovefuzz, and all the other DIY effects sites. There are even some threads and clubs about it here on TB. It's a big thing, lots of people enjoy the pedal-making bug. :)

4. Pedal making will open you up to many pedals that have been discontinued or too hard to find.
    Many pedals contain unobtainium, that were either too expensive\time consuming to build or just couldn't be built at a reasonable profit. But building them is always possible.
    There are many discontinued pedals that have been worked out over at freestompboxes.

There are already a heap of effects boxes out there that combine effects.
    The best ones have a blending circuit and a way to switch their order around, (like which effect sees the signal first) and of course where you can use more than one effect at a time.

5. yeap, that's it