Effects - Direct, Loop, or Combination

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CerealKiller, Oct 29, 2011.

1. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I have a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal and a Sansamp VT bass pedal. Looking at adding a MXR M87 compressor pedal. I was planning on making a small pedal board to accommodate these.

I have a SWR 350X head and the manual suggests running through the effects loop to eliminate hiss. Since it is a blended effects loop, I don't really see how that is practical. Maybe run the VT bass through the loop and keep the tuner and compressor direct to the input? I'm trying to keep this simple, but looks like more cables, boards, etc.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Couldn't find the right search keyword to narrow down what I was looking for.

2. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    I believe the idea is that the signal in the effects loop has more headroom, and therefore a better signal-to-noise ratio (although I'm sure someone else on here has better knowledge of this).

I personally don't use the loop on my head because I'm not bothered by any noise going directly through my pedal board, so I'd rather avoid the extra cable mess. It wouldn't hurt to try the loop though - just to see if you feel like there's any benefit to it.

Going 100% on the blend for dynamic processing (compressor) is common practice, but blending in some clean signal can also be nice (this is called parallel compression or NY-style). Parallel compression works well with quite extreme settings on your compressor. I don't think I've tried this on bass before, but I've gotten great results with this technique on drum recordings. It can really beef up the sound without ruining the transients and dynamics of the playing.

3. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Thank you for this thread been looking for a similar post as well. I'm trying to use my effects loop too.

Richie

4. A rough guide is to put line level effects direct through the front and all others through the effects loop. GENERALLY speaking(losely) line level effects are stomp boxes and the others that typically go through the loop are rack mounted effects. Everything of yours I would just run through the front, but try it out and see what you like. I didn't like my vt bass in the effects loop of my swt bass 750,but love the swr tone it adds.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Almost- Line level effects would be rack mounted, and stomp boxes are instrument level. Line level goes through the loop, instrument level in front.

6. I knew I would get something backwards. Thanks for clearifying(sp?)

7. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    OK. Good to know! Thanks everyone!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021