1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects doubt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by matius88, Mar 24, 2013.

1. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    Hi,

im looking forward to experiment with the world of effects, but i dont know where to start and how.

I look on the web and i have found this three options:

- buy stompbox

- buy a pedalboard like: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=593&ParentId=248.

- use my notebook and buy an iterface?

What are the pros and cons of this options in your opinion??, the other thing i want to know is for using my notebook i have to buy an interface no?, and when i play live what i have to do, bring the interface and the notebook to the stage?, and for triggering an effect its there any plug control or expresion control that you can buy and connect to the interface/notebook??.

please if you have share your experience.

thanks for all!

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I would start with stomp boxes aka pedals. The Boss all-in-one covers everything, but I think it would be overwhelming (at least to me). Depends on what kind of experimenting you want to do, what kind of sounds you want to explore. I've never used a notebook or ipad in a live setting, so I'm no help there.

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I would recommend starting with a multi-effects unit like the ME-50B, if you are new to the world of effects. A reasonable multi-effects unit will allow you to try out various types of effects so that you learn which will ultimately be most useful to you.

I started with a cheap multi-effects unit, moved to the better-quality ME-50B that you linked to, and recently switched to using single pedals. I have found that the single effects give a better sound and better adjustability for my purposes, but (1) I wouldn't have known which effects I needed without having put in the time with the ME-50B, and (2) a pedalboard made of single pedals is almost certainly going to be more expensive, and you can easily spend a bunch of cash trying to find what works for you -- particularly if you don't even know where to start.

4. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    thanks for the answer,

i have a doubt about this, whats the difference about a single stompbox and a multieffec like the ME-50B,
    for example:

whats better a boss ODB-3 pedal or the distortion of the ME-50B?, its the same kind of sound?.

based on your experience its possible to put two Filter/tone or two delay mod? or you at leaste can have 1 effect active for each section?

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    First find out why you need effects? what sound are you going for? do research and see what your favorite groups use if they are expensive pedals look for "clones" which are cheaper pedals that emulate the sound of expensive or discontinued pedals. I have to warn you once you start it never ends if you are happy with your sound now leave it alone :)

6. If you use your notebook and buy an interface you have FAR more options.

Write and record songs.

Try many many types of FX.

Decide what types of pedals (if any) that you may wish to spend money on later such as distortions, compressors, flangers/phasers/chorus, and delays/reverbs after you try some things with your notebook.

There are several very good amp simulators for computer, I've had great results with Amplitube. It also has some delays, EQs, reverbs, modulators, distortions, and so on included with it. Plus MANY amplifier types.

So the interface choice will give you the most experience with the least amount of money spent. You already have the computer, so the big money is already spent. You'll need the interface anyway if you plan on recording. So it isn't something you will end up not using.

No questions ..... the interface is your best choice in your case.