1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects Doubts (order,bypass) and tuner advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by matius88, Mar 31, 2013.

1. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    well, i bought this pedalboard yesterday :
    [​IMG]

the order i use is:

Compressor -> eq -> distor -> chorus -> wah.

do you think this is a good choice?, because im reading that a lot of people put the compressor after all the efects, or after the eq.

the other thing that im concerned about is the true bypass, its this a major concern?, because i saw a lot of pro players with boss/electroharmonix stompboxes and then i read that they are bad because they suck tone, is this true?.

the last two questions i want to ask you is what tunner do you recommend (the boss?, korg?), and do you recommend buying the expression pedalk for the aw-3 wah?, or is a waste of time?.

thanks for all!

2. Firsties - there is no 'It MUST Be Done THIS Way' to effects ordering...try different arrangements and go with what YOU like.

That said...I have my comp last in the chain, and if I had an EQ on my board it'd probably be early in the chain (I like to put tone shaping early).

3. +1 to Mudd, it's about what YOU like and what works for YOU.

I also run my compressor late in the chain (2nd to last), but I run my EQ/Preamp/DI (B7K on main board, Tone Hammer or Sansamp PBDDI on 2nd board) dead last to have compression and EQ tweaking on my whole chain. But that's just me.

The only thing I might suggest is moving the AW-3 towards the front of the chain. It's been my experience that wahs and envelope filters work better with a signal as close to the bass as possible. Again though, just me. :)

As for the expression pedal for the AW-3, my inner gear wh*re takes over: you've got space on the board... why not buy a separate wah pedal? I like the Dunlop 105Q... built for bass, nice price new (even better used) and it has auto on/off.

5sg.