1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects envelope in Garageband

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 6, 2006.

1. hello all!

well, i am doing a lot of recording with this cool program, and i was just wondering...I remember back in my Cool Edit Pro days, you could control the amount of an effect through out the song, similar to how you can go through a song and turn the volume and pan up and down, left and right respectively. can you do that in garageband?

2. nah i'm pretty sure you can't unfortunatly, the effect is just applied the same amount to the entire track.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    there are no envelope controls in GB. it is usually suggested that you "chop" up the original audio track and move different sections to different tracks that have the same effect with different settings. of course, this presents its own set of problems in that it is annoying, you cant make smooth adjustments in the parameter settings, and all the extra tracks will start eating up the processor.

but if your settings can be done with minimal changes, i think this method could work.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    If you kept all the tracks grouped together as close as possible it isn't too bad. It is a PITA though.

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, if you're using a software instrument, you could just change how hard the instrument is playing and then turn down the volume a bit. It's a wierd workaround, and doesn't always sound the best, but it does somewhat work.

If you're not using a software instrument as a backing track, and want to apply this to your recorded instrument, I think you're pretty mcuh stuck (unless you chop it up like the others said).

-Dash

6. i had an idea...maybe i'll record two tracks, and and have one clean and the other uber-dirty with whatever effects i want at full blast, then just use the volume envelope for the dirty sound, and make that an effect envelope...thats how my cousin does his recordings with software strings, when he wants to add the vibrato, he makes two tracks, one normal, one vibrato, and then mixes them where he wants the string section to add vibrato...of course thats with his pro tools rig...

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1 You beat me too it. Record a clean track and then copy and paste it into another track and apply the envelope filter. So you end up with two duplicate tracks. One clean, and one with the effect. Adjust the volume to your liking until you get the right blend.