1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects for 80s/90s goth rock?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lostcontrol_, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone,

A couple of friends and I are finally forming a goth rock project after all these years, which naturally brings up an opportunity to feed my GAS in the shape of a second pedalboard ;D We'll be heading towards something in the vein of The Cure / Fields of the Nephilim with some extra spice from here and there.

So far I'm thinking
    - overdrive: probably my B3K
    - chorus: probably my spare Boss CEB
    - flanger: ???
    - delay: either my flashback 4x or eventide, not sure yet which one

Question time: Am I missing anything essential here? Any recommendations on the flanger? What would you use in general for this genre?

I know that Simon Gallup is (or at least was) pretty much a Boss person and that Tony Pettitt (FotN) uses a Pod for the mod/delay/exp stuff, but I'm looking for nice alternatives to those setups.

Thanks in advance :)

MattStonewall and torza like this.
  2. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great set up so far! I would definitely add a Boss RV3 to the mix. You can definitely get some eerie sounds out of it, and sounds very Cure-ish when paired with a chorus

colantalas likes this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd be pretty happy with those effects.

Maybe a few different flavored of OD and distortion.

I'd be able to use a flanger. They're fairly similar to chorus and I use them somewhat interchangeably. Boss BF-2 is my fave, and they're also inexpensive to easy enough to find.

I've tried to do the Simon Gallup thing without using Boss and it's just not the same. The ones he's using happen to sound great on bass too.

torza likes this.
  4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Simon Gallup was still using all Boss stuff during recent Cure shows, and after 30+ years of using Boss, I don't see him jumping onto someone else's train (hah, see what I did there?) anytime soon.

While there's nothing wrong with Boss, I've just moved most of mine up on the shelf, and find myself preferring other boxes to Boss. I used Boss pedals for years.

When playing Cure songs I find myself using the following:
    OD: Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet & Malekko Diabolik
    Chorus: MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe
    Flanger: MXR EVH Flanger
    Delay: Malekko Ekko 616 Dark

I love the EVH Flanger but the 18v is a giant PITA.

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. What's your budget for the flanger? There's some good flanger threads with loads of info/recommendations, worth a look.

What sort of flanger sound do you want? For the Cure-like stuff you'll likely want something sweet, closer to a chorus. There are some songs though where the flanger sounds get pretty metallic, though that's mostly on the guitar parts.

Boss would be a good choice, of course, but don't discount the modulation capabilities of a good mutli-effect.

M5 (what I'm using)
    MS-60B
    B3
    MS-70CDR (emulates Boss chorus as well as ADA Flanger etc)

6. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Check out Paradise Lost's album One Second.
    Beautiful bass tone!

7. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    And sorry for not expanding.
    The bass player uses a sirupy thick Flanger effect. It sounds glorious!

8. POG2

Great for octave up and octave down but you can also get some organ and cello sounds out of it, which might be a cool addition.

9. Hey,

Sorry that I couldn't reply earlier, got caught up with work :p

I actually already bought a used Boss BF3 for the time being and to get things started, but I might opt for an upgrade at some point. I don't really have a set budget, if I end up using the flanger a lot (which I probably will) I have no issues spending 100-200 €/$ in a nice one. Strymon and all of those are nice, but they're probably also a bit overkill for my needs.

As for the multieffect units, I used to use them (Line6 HD500x, some boss stuff before that) but ended up having to haul a separate distortion section with me every time so I ended up returning to individual pedals. I did like the modulations on the Line6 stuff, tho.

I coupled the BF3 with a Boss CEB5 chorus so I should be set for the most common scenarios for now.

10. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Fields of the Nephilim rock! What about a Mr. Black Supermoon or Digitech Polara for some reverb modulation? A Mr. Black Gilamondo could add some syrupy phaser.

11. I would definetly add a looper with expandable memory for sampling for that style