Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects for a drum and bass duo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A buddy of mine and I are POSSIBLY starting a drum and bass duo, and without a guitar or vocals, there's going to be a LOT of sonic space for me to fill. Between the fact I'm not exactly a virtuoso and the general trend in these kinds of pairings is to have a fair amount of effects on the bass, I'm looking for effects that'd suit this kind of duo.

I'll end up getting a multi-effects board, so if you could reccomend one with good effects for under $325CAD (expression pedal preferred) I'd be mighty grateful. I don't particularly desire sampling or drum tracks, but I don't turn my nose up at gravy.

2. The bassist from Lightning Bolt (awesome Providence, RI-based free jazz/noise-rock bass/drums duo) uses an assload of distortion and occasional phaser, chorus, and flanger on his bass.

Honestly, anything goes when you have that much sonic space to fill.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Hey, that's my neck of the woods! I will have to check them out. Thanks for the info Peter.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok here we a go go...

I would sudjest the following:

An octave pedal such as the boss oc-2.

End of the world fuzz, something old, somthing broken, something NASTY. My Shin Ei Tempo fills the bill for me, sound like an atom bomb going off in my cab...

Reverb works well before a fuzz and or distotion, gives you a nice wall of sound.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Alex

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Last time I played a drum and bass duo, I ran my GK stack through a splitter with the other side going to a Marshall guitar half-stack. I ran all my effects through the bass amp and the guitar stack was a bit overdriven, really thickened up the sound, especially with delay on the bass end.

I used a wah, volume, Big Muff, Flanger and Delay. Sounded great!

6. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    i recently saw lightning bolt when they rolled through texas, and this time around i looked at his different pedals, though all i distinctly remember is that uses 2 boss odb-3 in his chain. also after watching the dvd a few times, i realized that he changed out hist G string with a guitar string (presumeably a G). i think to give taht timbura/sitar-esque droning feel. he does a lot of fun stuff, but i don't think my post was too helpful:(
    -kyle

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been doing the duo thing for several years now. I second the suggestion of the split rig. For a long time, I used just a fuzz (homemade) and a Rocktron Intellifex, which does chorus, verb, delay, and harmonizer/octaver. The Rocktrons used to be really expensive, but are pretty reasonable used these days. You'll need a MIDI controller to use a pedal, but that's be handy to have as you get deeper into things. The Line 6 modulator and echo units are also pretty cool, although I don't do floor units.

My secret weapon for the duo is a fretless, played with a slide. Takes things out of the strict bass realm.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And I second that! Play with a slide and people go huh? and even better a capo and tremolo if you have one!

9. Ummm...stuck record I know but being a rather big Wimbish fan I'd have to say that in addition to being a nifty dub tool the DOD FX25 NAILS that D&B tone to a T. Check out Jungle Funk for an example.

10. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    to clear up confusion--Brian Gibson from Lightning Bolt uses a digitech bass whammy, a boss OC-2, a boss ODB-3, a boss super distortion, and recently one of those line 6 green delay units for live performances.

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Not dance oriented DnB Mad Sub, post punk like the ruins, lightning bolt, and canada's own Death From Above...

Actualy guys, there is a band to check out... Death from Above are from Toronto, and thier bassist Sebastion is a helluva nice guy... his rig rocks too:

Gibson ripper - Vintage dunlop bass wah - vintage maxon analog stereo chorus - stereo sognal to these two rigs:

Peavey 74 Coloseum solid state bass head, this thing has a walloping 450 watts... For 74 thats big... He uses the overdrive channel. This then goes into a Traynor 8x10 with paper cones, the cabinet is a sealed one - and a few cones are torn...

Acoustic 360 into the same type of cab, fuzz on the 360 is always on...

That guy has a rig and a half, and he can play too...

Death From Above

12. I actually prefer using fuzz or OD for sub tones m8uch in the way that I would use the DOD. I crank them up...waaaay up but play very lightly. A very synthy and unique tone to be had.

13. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just got a DOD 250, and that thing is soaking in dubtastic tone... Same deal crank it up, and play very softly... You use the Dredge Tone Angler right?.. I tryed to get one and couldn't...

Alex

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For d-n-b I use the Boss SYB-3. Yes, the notorious SYB-3. The synth modes have tracking problems at high speeds, as everyone reports, but if you're not a virtuoso and just want to take up lots of sonic space, this thing does the trick. It has serviceable digital distortion modes as well. (The envelope filter - eh.) For extra massiveness, the pedal lets you hold a synth note and play normal bass over it.

Don't pay more than $100 for one.