1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

effects for a newb?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lizooki, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi all.

I've been playing bass about 3 months and I've been thinking of getting some sort of effects.

I play a Hamer Slammer Chapparal 4-string thru a Peavy 50-watt Microbass.

I play gospel music at church and a little of everything at home for practice.

Any suggestions on what to get as a first effects purchase?

thanks,

Matt

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What kind of effects? Distortion? Flanger? Echo? Delay? Tremolo? so on and so forth...

It's hard to recommend effects when I don't have a style to work with... since you're in church, I'd suggest the nastiest, raunchiest, filthiest distortion you can find, but that's just me :p

3. practice:)

4. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    After only 3 months of playing I am not sure that expanding your music vocabulary with effects is such a good idea.

If you need some ideas for investing your saving, you may want start saving money for a new amplifier for example.

If you really must buy a single effect, perhaps something nothing too intrusive, like a phaser might be a good idea.

5. Probably the best thing to do would be to buy a used pedal or two, check out the effect(s) to see if you like them, sell the one(s) you don't and buy another type to try out. What I like, you might not. What appeals to you may make me cringe. Effects are just something you need to experience on your own.

That said, soundbytes for a great many effects can be found here on TB and elsewhere on the 'Net. Check a few out to see what interests you.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a slippery slope, and once you start, you could find yourself wishing you hadn't. I'd tend to agree with the above poster who suggested a new amp, first.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    +1 on new amp :)

8. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    +2

it's probably better to focus more on improving your playing than on buying fancy crap for now, though. you really don't need a bigger or better amp until you join a band, and effects should come much later

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Here is my low down

- Stage tuner is a must, you have to be able to fine tune between songs
    - Overdrive (ibanez PD7) makes my bass come alive, not for everyone though
    - Delay pedal, who doesn't need one?
    - Sansamp (or behringer clone) preamp to cntrol your tone

Other than that its all just too much hassle. Keep it simple, keep it sharp, keep it low!

10. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks guys!

11. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    or get a cheap multi like a Zoom B2.1u to decide what effects you like

12. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    I agree with sk8, get some cheap Zoom or Digitech multi box for like $50. They have a tuner, a drum machine, a load of buzzsaw distortions, crackpot phasers and other stuff that'll totally ruin your sound =D Once you figure out which of the stuff is even remotely usable you can just buy those two or three as single pedals and build a little pedal board =)

If you want single pedals right away, I recommend a tuner and a delay or a chorus. The first pedal I ever bought was a Boss TU-2 tuner. The price was sour and I didn't bargain, I just paid the full price and walked home with it, being the dumb kid I was back then. It's lasted me for half a dozen years tho and it's pretty fast and seems indestructable so I've been awfully happy with it =) Some of the cheap tuners are really slow, take ages and they jump around a lot so there are differences! Any cheap delay/chorus will give you a sweet effect for playing around with at home. Borrow a distortion rather than buy one, because it's not something you're gonna use often. Unless you know what you're doing it'll just mostly buzz your sound and make it harsh on the ear if you're just playing at home and practicing your chops.

13. Yup.

Don't get hung up with toys if you've only been playing for three months. I mean, it's cool that you can make a bass sound like a laser rifle if you want, but it's entirely useless.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Both of these need IMO attached to them, especially the "entirely useless" one.