Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects for a Pink Floyd tribute band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Aug 4, 2005.

1. A friend recommended me for a Pink Floyd tribute band gig. I know Roger Waters used delay and a flanger (maybe chorus?), but can anyone suggest anything else that would be useful. The tunes will range from early Floyd to the more "current" songs. Thanks for your help, this could be lots of fun.

by the way, feel free to recommend your favorites be it pedal or rackmount that could do the job.

2. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    If you don't have a P-bass and vintage SVT, try a Fulltone Bass Drive (Comp-cut, non-boost mode). It'll get you in the ballpark for Waters/Pink Floyd stuff. That and a good delay should be all you need.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this, because it's been bothering me for a while. Is the effect on "Echoes" a delay? I always through it was an echo effect or something. When I first started playing bass with my friends they taught me how to play "Echoes", it was pretty straightforward, but I could never get the same sound as on the recording and ended up with a really sore wrist after trying to.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Does Waters use overdrive? Never thought of that. Is it mild?

5. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    The Bass Drive in Comp-Cut mode isn't as much of an OD as it is a beefy, thickening booster. I use mine inf ront of a modern Ampeg to get the vintage Anpeg thing happening.

6. I use a Sansamp RBI & Ashdown ABM cabs so I should be able to get a respectable impersonation of "beefy" maybe not vintage Ampeg but doable.

If all I need is say Delay, Tremelo, Flanger, maybe Reverb. What do you think of either a TC Electronics, Lexicon or other rackmount unit? Would it do as good a job as pedals. I could pick up a MIDI footboard & tweak each preset to what I need.

any suggestions?

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The delay/modulation section of the Boss ME-50B nails that stuff.

8. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Might wanna find out what songs the band plans on playing first... unless "Echoes" is in their set list, you won't need anything other than that P-bass/SVT tone. I can't think of when Waters used a trem or flanger... at least not in anything a cover band would likely perform.

9. I'm not the effects guru but I think Pigs (three diff ones) uses either flanger or chorus. One of These Days uses delay and in the middle maybe square wave tremolo?

Here's the setlist (for now)

Interstellar Overdrive
    Paint Box
    Fearless
    Have a Cigar
    Shine on Crazy Diamond
    Wish you were Here
    Sheep
    Pigs on the wing
    Pigs (3DO)
    One of these Days
    Mother
    Brick in the Wall
    Nobody Home
    The Thin Ice
    Run Like Hell
    Young Lust
    Dark Side of the Moon (entire CD - minus pre time synth jam)